Five things to do over spring break

A list of activity ideas for students who stay on campus..

Jessica Goddard, Features Editor

As spring break approaches, students fatigued with the daily grind of the college life anxiously await their respite. Some travel home or to a fun destination, while others remain in the area. Even if students do not travel over the break, the area surrounding campus holds many opportunities for enjoyment and a break from campus.

1. ALBUM LISTENING PARTY: BLACK PANTHER

California State University Fullerton will host an album listening party at the Titan Student Union Pavilion C. on Thursday, Feb. 22, from 5 to 7 p.m. After listening to the album, they will have a discussion time. The event is free and open to the public, although students will need to register online beforehand. Considering all of the popularity and publicity “Black Panther” has received, this event could give students an interesting, educational and artistic way to begin their spring break.

2. GRIFFITH OBSERVATORY PUBLIC STAR PARTY

On Saturday Feb. 24, Griffith Observatory will have its monthly Public Star Party from 2 to 9:45 p.m. People will be able to view the sun, moon and planets through different telescopes and discuss with volunteers from the Los Angeles Astronomical Society, the Los Angeles Sidewalk Astronomersand the Planetary Society. The party does not cost money, although the drive to Griffith can take around an hour or more during rush hour. Students will need to consider traffic and gas, but the views should prove worth the effort.

3. ARTISTS’ STUDIO

If students do not have a car but want to get off campus and do an activity, they can join La Mirada’s weekly Artists’ Studio located at the Resource Center on Tuesdays from 6 to 8:45 p.m. They can bring their own art projects and supplies and work on them in an enjoyable atmosphere with local company. The event is free and a nice way to get to know those who live in La Mirada, besides Biola students.

4. ART-A-FAIRE

For students who love art and the beach, Huntington Beach’s Art-A-Faire could provide the perfect day trip. On Friday March 2, over 50 vendors will have tents set up for selling art, hand-made crafts and knitted clothing from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Students can wander through the art displays, purchase some homemade trinkets and then spend the rest of the day enjoying the beach and snacking on food from the beach shacks.

5. FOOD BANK

Every Friday at 3:30 p.m. Grace Evangelical Free Church hosts a food bank. If students have a little extra time during their break and would like to spend it in service, they can attend the food bank. The church is located only a few blocks from campus, and the experience will bring a meaningful aspect to spring break. Students will have the chance to interact with other members of the La Mirada community and will get to pray with new friends.