Chapel series grapples with Gospel communication

Mark Dever, president of 9Marks ministry, led the talks.

Heather Tanji, Writer

The annual Contemporary Issues chapel series this week focused on the importance of preserving and communicating the gospel. The series of talks was led by Mark Dever, senior pastor of Capitol Hill Baptist Church in Washington, D.C. and president of 9Marks ministry.

In the three-part series that began Monday, Dever spoke about the danger this college-age generation is in of abandoning the Gospel. The Gospel must be revived, he concluded. The Contemporary Issues series was one of eight presented in this year’s chapel lineup, which has featured more series than in years past.

“It was interesting how he approached the subject of the Gospel,” said freshman Bethany Vigil. “It was different. We should be bringing it back [to life]. He was straightforward about it.”

Tuesday’s chapel focused on the importance of communication in relationships and in spreading the Gospel to others.

Using Ezekiel 37, Dever discussed how Ezekiel spoke the word of God and made dead bones come to life through the Holy Spirit. Verbal language is essential to sharing the Gospel, he said.

“We were called to communicate and show the life of God to the [non-believers],” Dever said. “Jesus spoke truth to the deaf man and his ears were opened. Jesus came to preach. We see Jesus calling out to his disciples. People share the light of God through language…. We must take His Word and give it to people. That is our ultimate calling. We are preachers of God’s Word.”

Wednesday, the last day of the series, Dever emphasized how valuable church membership is to one’s walk with God. He listed six reasons why church membership is vital to spiritual life: Commitment, witness, assurance, nature, obedience and glory of holy love.

“The church is how God intends to show Himself in this age,” he said. “Church membership is a biblical idea. I really believe that God’s plan for evangelism is the local church.”

Christian love — willingness to serve others selflessly — is a clear indication of whether or not one is truly a Christian, he said.

“If you’re Christian, you will inconvenience yourself to love others. Church membership helps you to do that. Church membership is the expression of God’s own nature and character.”