Many Biolans live alone on campus

Many on campus residents are lacking roommates due to last-minute dropouts

Alethia Selby, Writer

Some incoming students, striding onto Biola’s campus with high hopes for their college experience, found an empty bed in place of an expected roommate.

Difficult financial situations in the midst of today’s economy meant more students failing to show up to school – and thus, more students ending up roommateless. As of Sept. 22, the undergraduate housing office saw a total of 41 students living alone in the dorms this semester, a number that will remain until December. This is a sharp increase from the 18 students who lived by themselves in designated double rooms last year. In the end, 32 women and 9 men have found themselves without a roommate for the fall 2009 semester.

Anne Alloway, director of undergraduate housing, believes the poor economy was partly to blame.

“I do feel that the number of cancellations are up due to the economy, as a personal assessment and based on student feedback when they depart,” she said.

Alloway said housing sent out two emails the week before Sept. 15, attempting to help students who were without a roommate find someone to live with, whether that meant breaking up a triple, finding a friend to room with, or simply allowing housing to pick for them. The email gave students four options to decide from, including those listed above. Rooming alone for the semester was also left as an option.

Lindsey Kouns, a freshman, experienced the disappointment of a lonely room for the first few weeks of school.

“At first, I kind of liked it,” Kouns said. “But after a while, I wondered when I was going to get a roommate.”

Kouns received her roommate information before she got to Biola, and found that her assigned roommate would not be able to attend because of financial difficulties. Arriving at Biola, she found that her expectation of gaining another roommate almost immediately was far-fetched. When housing sent out the email asking if single occupant residents wanted to be paired up with a roommate, Kouns quickly replied. As a result, she gained a new roommate.

“I walked in four or five days later and all her stuff was on her bed,” she said.

Kouns was thrilled with the match up, and is enjoying getting to know her roommate, Kelsey Rogers.

In December, students without a roommate will be given the opportunity to gain a roommate for the second semester. Housing will place 100 incoming students within the dorms for the spring semester. Though, as Alloway said, not everyone lacking a roommate will get one from housing.

“My heart goes out to them,” Alloway said. “Freshmen, in particular, are new to all of it and don’t always know how to advocate for themselves.”

Alloway said rooms with one occupant are left with both sets of furniture, though students may call Residential Facilities and have the room reconfigured. Students left alone for a semester are charged the two-occupant rate, despite the empty space.