Several candidates running unopposed in AS Election (Video)

Half of this year’s AS senate candidates are running unopposed. Candidates for Stewart, Emerson, Alpha West, Hope North and the Block apartments are running without opposition. Sigma Hall and Commuters both have two candidates running, but each has two senate positions to fill. The senator for Alpha East will be a hired position because there is no candidate running.

This years AS elections are taking place this week and will be voted upon early next week.

This year’s AS elections are taking place this week and will be voted upon early next week.

Half of this year’s AS senate candidates are running unopposed.

Candidates for Stewart, Emerson, Alpha West, Hope North and the Block apartments are running without opposition. Sigma Hall and Commuters both have two candidates running, but each has two senate positions to fill. The senator for Alpha East will be a hired position because there is no candidate running.

The fear of failure in front of peers is a possible explanation for why more students do not get involved, said Cami Cress, AS senior vice president.

.

“It can be scary to put that much work into something and not succeed. The risk factor is so high it can be intimidating. However, we always look for students with great ideas and a desire to serve the student body,” she said.

Senators for Emerson, Hart, Sigma and Commuters are running to maintain their current positions. The success of senators running for reelection could explain their lack of opposition, said Kurt Yazdizadeh, himself an uncontested candidate for Stewart.

“Maybe they are unopposed because the residents of the dorms or apartments they are currently representing are satisfied with their work,” Yazdizadeh said. “Or maybe students are afraid to run against them because they already have a years-worth of experience under their belts.”

There may be a variety of reasons students choose not to get involved, but sophomore Marco Chavez said those who have taken initiative to campaign deserve respect and attention for their efforts.

“If a senator is running without opposition, people should either step up and take action to make a difference, or be accepting of the authority of the person they elected,” Chavez said.

Candidates are expected to keep their campaigns “Christ-centered,” Cress said. AS asks candidates to highlight their strengths and agendas independently of their opposition by “challenging the idea rather than the person.”

AS enforces advertising rules in compliance with Biola administration and BUBBS policies and any failure to adhere to them jeopardizes campaigns through fines and possible disqualification, Cress said.

These standards exist to prevent slander, especially when competition is close. The hope is to avoid incidents of scandal, like four or five years ago when an anonymous document posted throughout campus made contentious claims about two of the candidates.

AS also sets a spending limit on campaigns. Financial support is generated from candidates personal funding, with the president and vice presidential campaign not to exceed $700, and the senator budget capped at $100, Cress said. All senators are required to provide a campaign expense report.

“I think that campaign money would be better allocated towards more public events like debates and less on advertising. It prevents one candidate from having any advantages through financially supporting their campaign and allows the student body to be well-informed to make their decision,” said sophomore Sarah Henehan.