Say Yes! responds to need for Christian community development in skid row (Video)

Launching in 1994, Say Yes! has grown exponentially over the years in response to the need for Christian community development on skid row.

unknown

Biola student Haley Rocha uses the class time at the S.A.Y. Yes! tutoring center to read a story to Richard, who is one of many elementary-aged children involved in the daily program. S.A.Y. stands for Saving America’s Youth. Photo by Kelsey Heng

Skid row, Los Angeles. Crack whores, drug addicts, prison-released sex offenders, murderers, strung-out and psycho-deranged hobos stripped naked lying in sour streets.
Fifty blocks of this, right in the middle of the wealthiest country in the world. The stage is set for a helping hand to reach out with compassion.

Enter Central City Community Outreach and Biola’s S.A.Y. Yes! ministry. Every week, 45 Say Yes! volunteers from Biola head downtown to San Pedro and 6th Street to partner with CCCO and serve the 300 children and teens on skid row. As one of the 20 programs in L.A., CCCO is one of the only ones on that focuses on academics, tutoring and spiritual health for children.

“I didn’t know how to interact with homeless people,” said junior Marina Fernandez, S.A.Y. Yes! director at Biola. “So I got involved my freshman year and God has taught me numerous things about their value and how they are made in His image. God loves them and desires a relationship with them. I see that in my own life, how He loves me no matter what I’ve done.”

.

Launching in 1994, Say Yes! has grown exponentially over the years in response to the need for Christian community development on skid row. Not only are educational, spiritual, emotional, and social needs met at the center, but 200-500 kids are welcomed for a nice dinner each night, as well. The K-12 school outreach is open from Monday to Thursday from 3-7 p.m., and Wednesday night karaoke for the homeless from 7-10 p.m.

Another cool thing about it?

Students from Azusa Pacific University volunteer, too.

Last week, the rival schools took about 15 junior and high school students to the APU basketball stadium to watch them face off with Biola.

On the way to the game, Darrika, a beautiful African-American high schooler rattled off a list of what she doesn’t want to do in life.

“I don’t want to do drugs. I don’t want to get addicted to anything. I don’t want to have sex, ” she said, with brutal honesty.

Sierra, a junior higher, looked like she just robbed a wholesale costume jewelry store with all the bracelets adorning her long arms. Coupled with the equally bright and multi-colored necklaces she wore, one was quick to take notice. “Do you want one?” she asked, holding out a bracelet with aqua-blue stars.

“I think Biola is gonna win,” she said. When asked why, “because they got the cuter guys!”

This girl is going to be a comedian.

Sierra was right. Biola did win. And although Biola played with excellence, the school pride was less moving then the odd community of newly found friends – skid row kids, Biolans and Azusans.

Misty Jo Wise, a recent APU grad who is doing an internship at CCCO, talked about her future plans. “I’m not sure what I’m going do after my internship is over,” she said, smiling. “I just want to serve Jesus.”

“I definitely encourage people to volunteer,” said Biolan Kim Beals, a senior elementary education major. “It’s a great ministry especially if you like working with kids. It’s good for education majors, especially if you need experience.”

Outside the energy of Biola/APU rivalries, it is the bonding sense of eternal significance that really does unite our schools. Something that goes beyond who wins the next game. And it can be found in the eyes of these kids.