Senior film student Matthew Jones honored at Caucus awards dinner

Senior film student Matthew Jones was honored Sunday at the 26th Annual Awards Dinner of The Caucus for Producers, Writers & Directors. Jones’ short film “Choices” was chosen by the members of The Caucus to receive one of their Student Production Grants, a $5,000 award given to student filmmakers for particularly noteworthy projects.

Senior Matthew Jones was honored at The Caucus dinner on Sunday, Dec. 7 for his film “Choices.” Photo by Courtesy: Matthew Jones

Jones was one of only five student filmmakers to receive one of their grants for the fall semester, which he explains as “a post-production grant for films that run out of money.” This award was offered in the midst of other Caucus nominations given to notables such as Holly Hunter and Kyra Sedgwick, and the event was hosted by none other than Mark Wahlberg.

Along with being an incredible honor and opportunity, the grant is also a welcome relief.

“The film is now done,” Jones said. “We still need about $2,000 to pay it off, but I hope to get that in award money from film festivals or some type of distribution, which we are still talking about.”

Jones’ journey with “Choices” began when he discovered the statistic that African-American women are more likely to have abortions than any other racial group. Growing up in Los Angeles, Matthew didn’t have any idea that this was the case.

“It wasn’t a shocker for me to see a young teenage girl pregnant,” he said. “So, to my knowledge, blacks in the community kept their babies rather than aborting them.”

With this new knowledge, Matthew began to study his community, particularly the African-American section, and realized that the pro-life movement was curiously lacking. Seeing this as a problem, he decided to do something about it — and that “something” turned into the award-winning film, “Choices.”

“I decided to take this issue by making a film about a girl, showing the emotional issues she encounters when deciding to keep her unborn child or not,” he explained. “I didn’t make the film under a political agenda. It doesn’t specifically take a pro-life or pro-choice side, it explores a situation of a girl dealing with a real issue.”

Jones’ desire as a filmmaker and a Christian is “not to be preachy,” but instead to make stories with a purpose.

“Film is art, and art can be a reflection of life,” he said. “This is what I worked to communicate in the film.”

Throughout the process, Matthew learned quite a bit, both logistically and on a more personal level.

When asked what lessons he will take away from the experience, he declared first and foremost, “I have learned not to make a movie without planning out funding sooner!”

Struggles with payment threatened to can the film, but with God’s grace and some good marketing, Jones’ movie has officially reached success story status.

Jones is quick to acknowledge all of the different influences and supporters he has found in his quest to make “Choices,” citing his parents — the original financial backers of his films — and everyone within the Biola cinema and media arts department, from fellow students who “kicked butt” on his crew, to Lisa Swain, his professor and academic advisor.

Swain is also encouraged by the success of “Choices.”

“Matt is one of the hardest working students I know who continues to surprise me with his talent and dedication,” she said. “The Caucus is just one example of his hustle and a clear indication that I’m not the only one who’s noticed.”

Matthew is working with Defending Human Value to get this film out to the world, it’s exciting to anticipate just how many more people will see it and take notice.

Here’s to cultural impact, one frame at a time.