Tijuana ministry members forced to stay home

Biola’s Tijuana Ministry cancelled their Nov. 22 trip to Tijuana due to increasing violence in Mexico, said Barbara Miller, director of spiritual life. In the 12 years of its existence, TJ, which travels to Tijuana four to five times a semester, has never cancelled a trip because of violence or danger, said Miller.

Mexican Army soldiers hold two suspects, arrested during an operation against drug smuggling and kidnapping gangs, after being presented to the press in Tijuana, Mexico, Wednesday, Dec. 3, 2008.  Photo by AP Photo/Guillermo Arias

Mexican Army soldiers hold two suspects, arrested during an operation against drug smuggling and kidnapping gangs, after being presented to the press in Tijuana, Mexico, Wednesday, Dec. 3, 2008. Photo by AP Photo/Guillermo Arias

Biola’s Tijuana Ministry cancelled their Nov. 22 trip to Tijuana due to increasing violence in Mexico, said Barbara Miller, director of spiritual life.

In the 12 years of its existence, TJ, which travels to Tijuana four to five times a semester, has never cancelled a trip because of violence or danger, said Miller.

Violence in Mexico prompted a travel alert from the U.S. Department of State warning about Mexican drug carters who are growing increasingly aggressive.

“Tijuana had become too dangerous to send students to, with the current riots and murders that the mafia has been responsible for,” said junior Ricky Norris who has been working with TJ since his freshman year.

Norris feels that the TJ ministry, which is comprised of approximately 40-50 students, shows the tangible body of Christ.

“The TJ ministry has been visiting a women’s shelter in La Roca for over 10 years. They go to continue the relationship Biola has had with the women and children who are our brothers and sisters there,” Norris said.

Norris also said the ministry does service projects as well as a VBS program for children in the surrounding community.

Miller said that the work has brought great results, even to the point of impacting hundreds of children and families through community and evangelistic outreaches.

“Our students have shared the gospel of Christ though compassionate service and building long-term relationships with children and their families,” said Miller.

In an e-mail to team members, Sara Reynoso, team director, encouraged TJ members to continue ministering to Mexico in a prayerful way, despite the cancellation of the trip. TJ will meet for the remainder of the semester to pray for Tijuana, La Roca and Mexico and look for guidance for the future.

“We are experiencing a time in which the Lord is calling us to become true intercessors of prayer for His people. I want to encourage you to pray for Tijuana, La Roca’s ministry (Pastor Miguel) and for where the Lord is leading us as a ministry,” Reynoso wrote.

Trips will resume when the university assessment committee allows them to, Miller said.

“After the university missions assessment committee reviews all the facts regarding the elevated levels of violence and the impact on our students, we will determine when it is prudent to resume the outreach portion of the ministry,” Miller said.