Popular jobs for college students

There are a variety of job opportunities, both on and off Biola’s campus. Here are some suggestions from other college students about the best jobs to get while balancing the academics with work experience.

At the Biola Library, sophomore Julie Baker sits at the Reception Desk in order to supervise the incoming traffic. Photo by Kelsey Heng

• Residence Assistant: This may not be an option for incoming freshmen, but if you are looking for ways to serve your dorm community and have a passion for people, perhaps being an RA is a great fit for you. RA activities include planning floor events, being “on-duty” in your building for assigned shifts, enhancing community between dorm members and simply interacting with residents. It’s a great way to meet people and housing benefits are definitely included. See your current RAs or residence directors for more information.

• Library Assistant: This job would involve checking books out to visitors, and helping students with audio and video machines, computer access and copiers. In addition to working in a quieter setting, as a library worker, you might be able to snag some free time to do your own homework after finishing your responsibilities. However, a job at the library may be hard to attain at Biola, for this can be a competitive and popular position.

• Teacher Assistant: While you think the teacher’s assistant, known as the “TA,” for your music appreciation class might be an older graduate student, he could very well be an undergraduate senior with a major in music. Students can serve as teacher assistants for larger classes (often general education classes). Tasks include inputting grades, reading papers and giving students suggestions for improvement. Your professor would probably give more details about necessary qualifications if he or she is looking for a new TA. Working with a professor is definitely an advantage, for it could lead to other windows of opportunity (internships, recommendations, etc.).

• Babysitter: Babysitting is usually a life-saver for working parents and, sometimes this job will pay more than on-campus jobs. Many parents would be delighted to have a responsible college student to take care of their four-year-old while they stay late at the office. Benefits include not only the pay, but more study time for you – younger children usually go to bed early, giving you more time to hit the books.

• Computer Lab Technician: Computer know-it-alls can combine this passion with needing to earn a little extra money. If you’re familiar with computer hardware, applications, common printer hookups and toner changes, working in the computer lab might be the right place for you. Students always need help with troubleshooting, internet connections and possible virus threats … computer-savvy individuals would always be wanted.

• Internships: Another job possibility is doing a part-time internship in the field you are pursuing post-graduation. This is a great opportunity to head out into the community, gain knowledge in your field and add a new experience to your resume. Internships are often a great way to help with financial aid and provide you with hands-on experience in your area of interest.