Biola Cheese Society off to a delicious start with increasing membership

The Biola Cheese Society has been in existence for three years, and has grown to incorporate over 200 students that call themselves members. Find out a little more about the Society and how you can become involved.

The Biola Cheese Society was started in the fall of 2005 and has been incrementally growing in membership ever since.

Club: The Biola Cheese Society

Club activities: Members sample five or six different cheeses each week. The types of cheeses presented at each meeting vary. For example, sometimes the week’s selection is based on a regional theme (cheeses popular to Britain, etc.). During meetings, members try the different kinds of cheeses presented, discuss what they like or dislike about the different cheeses, and provide suggestions for future cheeses to try. The Society also hosts a cheese gala for the entire Biola community at the end of every semester in the Caf Banquet Room. While the majority of society members attend this anticipated event, non-members are more than welcome to join, and frequently end up becoming members of the Cheese Society. Different foods commonly served with cheese are provided at the cheese gala for attendees to taste.

Meetings: Wednesdays at 8:00 p.m. or Fridays at 2:30 p.m. in Stewart Hall. Meetings are usually once a week at one of the times listed above.

Club history: The Biola Cheese Society was started in the fall of 2005. According to club president Ben Chernikoff, the club originated when a group of friends on his floor discovered a common interest – their love for cheese. The group began to bring a variety of cheeses to share with each other, and the Biola Cheese Society began.

Purpose: The Biola Cheese Society unites various individuals who like cheese or are interested in learning about different types of cheese (cheeses unique to specific regions, cheeses in different dishes, etc.). According to Chernikoff, the club has experienced significant growth ever since it began three years ago. Beginning with only 20 people at the first meeting, the Society currently includes over 200 students on its e-mail list. According to Chernikoff, there is increasing diversity in terms of members. From its humble origins in Stewart Hall, club members are now spread all across Biola’s campus.

Membership: If you are interested in joining the Biola Cheese Society, you can contact Ben Chernikoff through BUBBS. You can also look under the club folder (located under “Conferences” and “Student Hub”) or find the club’s group on Facebook. Many of the announcements and information regarding the club’s events are posted in these locations.