Faith and politics blend and clash at Iwata lecture series

God’s place in politics, as well as the very essence of Christianity, were topics of discussion in last week’s Iwata lecture series featuring Gerson Moreno-Riano, chair of government at Regent University. “We must ask ourselves, ‘What do we want political systems to do?’” he said during his first lecture Monday night.

Mike Villa

Regent University’s chair of government Gerson Moreno-Riano lectures about faith and politics in the library courtyard Tuesday night. Photo by Mike Villa

God’s place in politics, as well as the very essence of Christianity, were topics of discussion in last week’s Iwata lecture series featuring Gerson Moreno-Riano, chair of government at Regent University.

“We must ask ourselves, ‘What do we want political systems to do?’” he said during his first lecture Monday night. “It’s a matter of conscience; it puts the responsibility completely on you. What are the duties of a Christian citizen?”

Among other points, Moreno-Riano spoke on the Christian views of political parties, as well as whether Christianity should exist in the government at all. He said the Bible doesn’t answer every question, like how a government should use taxes, but is clear about its precedent over a nation’s laws in a Christian’s life.

“When political authority forbids what Christ commands, or commands what Christ forbids, Christians must disobey,” he said.

Along with discussing government, Moreno-Riano addressed the importance of faith in the life of a believer.

“What indeed is the essence of Christianity?” he asked. “The essence of Christianity is divine and not of this world.”

Students’ questions were encouraged, and many expressed confusion about how faith relates to the upcoming election.

One student remarked that there are only two candidates to choose from, and wondered if they should give up on politics. Another student expressed disgust in the two candidates and wondered if it was possible to have a president who sincerely upheld Christian values.

“It would be great if we had a candidate that was God-fearing and competent,” said Moreno-Riano. “There are few Abraham Lincolns in this world … you may go through one generation, maybe two, and be fortunate if you find one of those.”

On Tuesday night the speaker expanded on his previous points, focusing on whether it is possible to implement a Christian economic system without requiring people to be Christians.

On Wednesday night Moreno-Riano concluded by speaking about natural law. He focused on whether or not natural law is theological or ideological, and if there is any scientific evidence for natural law.

The lecture series had been a long time in the making. It was originally the intent of the former dean of humanities and social sciences at Biola, who left money for just such events, said Judith Rood, professor of history.

Along with the three lectures, Moreno-Riano spoke with faculty and staff, was available for meals with students and spoke in several classes.

“I shared my testimony with them,” he said. “There was a lot of discussion and interaction back and forth.”

Dave Peters, political science professor, said Moreno-Riano is a good speaker and interesting to talk to. He said his goal was to enlighten the faculty and staff, as well as exposing students to “new angles, new perspectives … new interpretations.”

“[Moreno-Riano] has the potential to have a huge influence on our culture,” said Rood.