Power made in weakness

Students learn a new definition of power.

Students learn a new definition of power.  |  Rebecca Mitchell/THE CHIMES

Rebecca Mitchell, Writer

“This is not what I signed up for.” It is a phrase that resounds in so many facets of our lives—including as we stand in long lines waiting to enter Torrey sessions—but more importantly to the challenges we face as Christians.

In Kyle Strobel’s breakout session “Life in the Spirit as the Christian Way of Power,” the power of a Christian becomes seen as one made in weakness. He challenged students with the question “Do we think God is right about this?” because the statements Jesus makes remain radical. We cannot ignore the Spirit leading us to a place of weakness rather than the thought of worldly power definition.

We hear Jesus say things like “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.” But we would rather claim an easier message of the Bible. We would rather ignore the fact of Jesus himself being made perfect in weakness. That the Spirit leading us in our new life involves sacrifice.

In Jesus’ day, the cross stood as one of the most torturous means of death. Thus, through the cross we are offered freedom and redemption, so it becomes easy for us to see it as an act of power. An act of power that we define by worldly standards rather than remembering the truth of weakness in power. Weakness has no good connotation attached with it in this world. But somehow, Jesus again reverts this “truth” to show his followers how weakness has benefits, and that weakness and power are not opposites within the kingdom.

With all this to say, let us  join Paul in saying: “My power is made perfect in weakness.”