Balancing the Bible and acceptance

Churches extend understanding to gay community, but remain opposed same-sex relationships.

Aili Acone-Chavez, Writer

Local churches in La Mirada grapple with addressing the topic of homosexuality. However, they remain firmly against same-sex marriage, setting them apart from a majority polled by a recent Pew Research survey.

Support for same-sex marriage in the church jumped from 32 percent to 53 percent between 2003 and 2013, according to a 2013 Pew Research survey. This leap has affected local churches by confronting them with homosexuality within their congregation.

“Our biblical stance towards homosexuality has not shifted. But our awareness of the issues has become more sensitive, which has resulted in the church extending more compassion towards the gay and lesbian community,” said Jacques Molyneux, head pastor of Ocean View Baptist Church in San Pedro.  

CHURCHES FACE REPERCUSSIONS

Local churches have faced the realization that members of their congregations could consider leaving if faced with a biblical view on homosexuality from the pulpit.

“Members have left. Not on a hard scale, maybe just a handful, and I have tried to reach out to those members and tried to bring about an understanding of where the church was at and how they were feeling … But in all the cases, the members have decided to not be a part of the church anymore,” Molyneux said.     

However, some students have expressed concerns that the church does not make enough effort to care for the homosexual community.

“I think the church shuts them down, the church doesn’t really want everyone to know. But I think they should talk to them on the side and encourage them to get counseling,” said Raeann Lopez, freshman communication sciences disorders.

At Grace Evangelical Free Church of La Mirada members of the congregation have told the leadership that the church is failing to preach against homosexuality. The church’s leadership replied to the complaints by simply stating that they are not preaching against anything, but they are preaching explicitly what God says, said David Talley, professor of Old Testament and elder of vision and leadership at Grace Evangelical Free Church of La Mirada.

“We know that there are some in our church that are struggling with homosexual desires, we know that’s true … We’re all in there together to find grace at the cross, but in finding grace at the cross, we don’t excuse sinful desires or practice, we bring those to the cross and ask for forgiveness,” Talley said.

STUDENTS WANT OPENNESS IN CHURCH

Some students believe that churches should not welcome same-sex relationships, but they desire to show love to the homosexual community. Personal experiences have changed some student’s views on how the church should approach homosexuality.

“I think that they should be open to people who are, but I don’t think they should accept the lifestyle … One of my best friends from church is gay, so it’s a huge controversy on myself. I think from experience, it’s hard for him to open up about his sexuality,” said Kimberly Brown, freshman psychology major.

The way that the church has reacted toward the gay community has compelled Biola students to dig into what the Bible teaches and find out what they believe to be true about same-sex relationships.

“The point of us having a good doctrine on this, is not finding who is saved and who is damned, it is how we can have the best Christian life possible,” said Micah Weichbrodt, sophomore.