Biola students satisfied with new bookstore management

Follett Higher Education Group manages Biola bookstore creating a satisfied student body.

Erin Wilson, Writer

The Follett Higher Education Group began managing Biola’s bookstore in fall 2013 with the goal of providing increased efficiency and wider access to textbooks. Since the appointment of this new management to oversee the bookstore, the store experienced significant changes that left the student body satisfied with its progress.

MORE PRODUCT ACCESS

Don Sims, director of auxiliary services and Harry Edwards, bookstore manager, said the new company has implemented useful new policies in the Biola bookstore in several ways. While the Biola bookstore has offered an online ordering system for six or seven years, Follett has access to more products than the previous management, significantly expanding the store’s online presence, Sims said.

Edwards said the store responds to online orders within 24 hours of the order placement. This combined with fast delivery time provides better opportunities for students to receive the books they need.

Follett implemented a new stocking system as well. Due to problems with stocking in past years, the store now carries at least one copy of the required book per class throughout the year to ensure students do not go without proper materials. Edwards said if a student must order a book not in stock, the bookstore will order two copies to ensure future availability for students.

Additionally, Sims said Follett acquires books from other locations for students, whereas previous Biola bookstore management did not have this ability.

“Their system is more tightly integrated. They have a larger buying power,” Edwards said.

Sims said that Follett faced challenges integrating their management system with Biola’s bookstore employees. However, Sims said the staff made progress and works hard to ensure customer satisfaction and continued support.

STUDENTS PLEASED WITH FOLLETT MANAGEMENT

The new bookstore management quickly found favor with students on campus. Senior sociology major Robin Nakamura said in previous years students had to pick up books from different areas of campus.

“I think it was easier than years before. We used to have to pick up our books in the parking structure. It’s nice to have it all in one spot,” Nakamura said.

When discussing her experience with Follett’s online ordering system, senior psychology major Vanessa Munoz praised the store’s use of email alerts that notified her once her books became available.

Upon receiving an email that the book has arrived, students pick up orders at the store in a separate line specific to online orders. Senior psychology major Anna Darmar and senior communication disorders major Olivia True said the new ordering system is faster and more efficient than in previous years.

According to both students and those that oversee the bookstore, Follett introduced important new changes. The bookstore will likely continue to improve over time to fit the needs of Biola students.