SAT changes not significant to admissions process

Changes in the SAT test potentially benefit future students but have little effect on the admissions process.

Seaman Chanthorn Peou of San Diego, Calif., takes his Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) aboard an aircraft carrier. The changes made to the SAT test do not have a big effect on the college admission process. | wikimedia.com/Creative Commons

Aimee Nelson, Writer

Although changes to the SAT test will go into effect spring 2016, the admissions department does not expect the altered scoring practices to make a significant difference in the admissions process.

NOTABLE ALTERATIONS 

College Board’s most notable alterations to the test include returning to the 1600-point scale, making the essay portion optional and removing the penalty for incorrect answers. The reading and math sections, each worth up to 800 points, are undergoing a facelift as well. More analysis-based thinking as well as problems grounded in real-world contexts are one way the test will be updated, according to College Board.

These changes may not have as great of an effect on specifically Biola admissions because they focus on reading and math scores when considering students’ applications, according to Stephens.

“We haven’t used the writing portion for admission, we use it for students who are borderline academically and also for placement into general education courses,” Stephens said.

CHANGES HAVE MINIMAL EFFECT

The full effect of the SAT changes will be more apparent after the new test goes into use, according to Andre Stephens, director of undergraduate admissions.

“The SAT is just one part of what we look at when the student applies. We will see when it happens how those scores translate to college success. There will be a lot for us to see what these scores mean in relation to what they meant previously. Will it make a difference as far as admissions? Not significantly,” Stephens said.

Even with low expectations of the changes having any effects, the admissions staff is still going to prepare for the new test between now and then. They plan to have a representative from College Board give them a layout of exactly what the changes are and how they can be interpreted in terms of academic knowledge, according to Stephens.

POTENTIAL BENEFITS FOR STUDENTS

It appears that the reasons behind these changes are to align the test with curriculum students are already learning, which the ACT already does, Stephens said.

Senior political studies major Monica Gonzalez noted that removing the wrong answer penalty also follows this trend.

“It’s not very practical because you don’t have that option in college. You miss that strategy in test taking … It’s not teaching good testing tactics or testing your testing skills,” Gonzalez said.

While the admissions department does not see the changes as extremely significant, students feel that they may provide benefits on the student’s end.

“An optional essay would be better. It’s nice that its optional because you don’t feel obligated to write something that you won’t do well at, but if you do love writing you can show that,” said senior communication disorders major Gaby Espejo.

The changes could also help students take the test on an equal playing field, Gonzalez said.

“I think it will help the quota of people. It could make it more equal for those that maybe don’t have the resources to take SAT prep courses,” Gonzalez said.