Don’t miss the messy manger

R.J. Winans embraces the reality of Christ’s birth while moving past the superficial perfect manger scene.

Biola students reenact the manger scene during the Christmas chapel. Opinions editor R.J. Winans embraces the reality of Christ’s birth while moving past the superficial perfect manger scene. | Melanie Kim/THE CHIMES

Robert James Winans, Writer

Biola students reenact the manger scene during the Christmas chapel. Opinions editor R.J. Winans embraces the reality of Christ's birth while moving past the superficial perfect manger scene. | Melanie Kim/THE CHIMES

The manger was not tidy. It was not plated with gold. It was probably not built for the purpose of Jesus’ birth. No, the manger was an unexpected tool. It was unforeseen to Mary, Joseph, the reader and those expectantly looking for the Messiah. However, it was not a surprise to God.

This is a scruffy story

As we place ourselves within the movement of the well-known story, we are keen on overlooking what we see in Scripture for the sentiments pulled from Hallmark.

In Luke 2:7 we see Jesus laid in the manger because there was no room at the inn. Surely God could have seen to a proper, comfortable birth for his son. After all, we see the way he dies upon the cross. There must be something to counteract that pain. But we do not find such a response in any of the birth narratives.

Rather, part of God’s plan was for the author and perfecter of our faith to be laid in a mangy manger.

Unappetizing details

Perhaps we ignore the messiness of Jesus’ birth because we are less likely to buy manger-scented air fresheners or fake blood for our nativity scenes. Though I am being cheeky, there is something to say about the lack of a realistic, incarnation-saturated focus on Christ’s birth.

We prefer the neatness of Jesus’ deity during this season rather than the complex doctrine of incarnation — something on which, I readily admit, I am no expert.

Intricate incarnation

To be sure, we recognize that Jesus became human … kind of. 

“The cattle are lowing, the Baby awakes, / but little Lord Jesus, no crying he makes,” is a familiar verse from “Away in a Manger.” The verse concerns me, however, because it is ridiculous to assume Christ shed no tears after his birth.

If we are willing to overlook Jesus’ humanity as a child, there will also be none when he cries in Gethsemane, is spat on and slapped before the high priest or even when he sheds his blood for us on the cross.

“The human life of Jesus is real and [I want] to show how important it is that he lived our life in order to die our death and be forever ‘the man Christ Jesus’ who intercedes for us and reigns over us,” Bruce A. Ware says in the introduction of his book, ”The Man Christ Jesus.” Ware acknowledges we cannot fully comprehend the complex nature of Christ, but we cannot ignore it either.

King of Kings in lowly manger

This Christmas may we move beyond the superficiality of a perfect, neat nativity scene. May we adore the Son of Man at the blessed, mucky, holy manger of Jesus. Let us join the angels, shepherds, magi and all the church in resolved chorus: “Jesus, to thee be all glory given; / Word of the father, now in flesh appearing: / O come let us adore him, Christ the Lord.”