Biola retains high SAT standards, despite low national scores

Biola’s SAT scores continue to be above the national average due to high admission standards.

Graphic by Kathleen Brown

Graphic by Kathleen Brown

Dayna Drum, Writer

Biola continues to maintain high SAT scores despite the nation's overall declining scores. | Kathleen Brown/THE CHIMES

As the national average SAT scores remain stagnant and reflect that a large percent of college-bound seniors are unprepared for college academics, according to the College Board’s 2013 SAT Report on College and Career Readiness, Biola continues to keep their bar high.

The College Board study not only looked at standardized test scores, but also the overall college preparedness of 2013 high school graduating seniors. A startling 57 percent of students who take the SAT are unprepared for college level academics, according to the report.

Nationally, the average SAT score for 2013 is 1498, 52 points below the College Board’s SAT benchmark score for college preparedness of 1550. However, Biola’s average accepted SAT score since 2006 is in the 1660 range, said Brad Camilleri, associate director of undergraduate admissions.

Although Biola students’ SAT scores have consistently been above the national average, scores have remained relatively the same. When considering a student’s acceptance, Biola looks at the combined score of the math and critical reading portions of the SAT. Since 2005, this score has consistently been in the range of 1105 to 1125, while the average score in California is 1010, said Andre Stephens, director of undergraduate admissions.

Academic Preparedness

Due to Biola’s admission standards, its incoming students are academically strong.

“For the most part, they are prepared compared to students maybe going to other state schools or community colleges,” Stephens said.

One of the potential reasons for this academic preparedness is a desire to learn, said Cassandra Van Zandt, associate provost of core curriculum. She said that she is impressed by Biola students’ desire for a meaningful education.

Negative results beget positive action

College Board said that they consider the results of the 2013 SAT report to be a call to action, according to the College Board News Release.

By collaborating with partners in the K–12 and higher education communities, College Board is working to implement solutions that aim to break down the barriers that prevent students from realizing opportunities, according to the news release.