Lent can be a growth experience instead of a trend

Natasha Cheeley argues that Lent is a unique opportunity for corporate worship.

Sophomore Jake Ellis | Emily Arnold/THE CHIMES

Natasha Cheeley, Writer

Sitting in the Fireplace Pavilion, sophomore Jake Ellis meditates on the early Psalms. | Photo illustration by Emily Arnold/THE CHIMES

I was a freshman when I first experimented with Lent. I decided to stop watching Hulu, thinking that it was probably a good time to overcome my addiction and replace it with “healthy relationships,” as ResLife affectionately labeled them. However, I was disappointed with the results. The end of Lent finally rolled around, and I was browsing my favorite shows by midnight. I was left with the newest four episodes, unable to access a few crucial plot twists, none the more spiritual, still friendless and now very annoyed that I had missed some valuable Hulu time. I figured Lent was not for me.

Two years later, I was a junior in “healthy relationships” — as far as I could tell — when my friend voiced her frustration about peoples’ ignorance surrounding Ash Wednesday. Those who choose to observe Lent begin this Advent season by gathering to corporately recognize the scriptural truth that “from dust we came, and to dust we shall return.” Each member receives an ashen cross traced on his or her forehead. My friend was irritated by the ignorant “friendly reminders” that something was on her face. I suppose healthy relationships can be more of a bother than a help.

Now as a regular member at my local church, as well as an consistent attendee to my community group, I chose to fully participate in Lent alongside my congregation. I found that participating in Lent as a single person in community is a completely different experience than as a person who is isolated at the end of the hall in Alpha Hall for 40 days.

Unlike my first experience, Lent is not a trend. Lent is not an exclusively high-church practice — though it did originate there. Lent is not meant for physical fitness or to make the non-Lenters feel unworthy. Lent offers an atypical opportunity for a corporate worship experience.

I have been exposed to many diverse forms of worship such as dance, poetry, painting, silence, giving, serving, liturgy, confession, etc. Traditionally, worship is a few moments of individual or corporate prayer in conjunction with some singing. But a richer case for worship can be found in pursuing spiritual discipline. Though Biola is officially non-denominational, we can still acquire the benefits of incorporating spiritual disciplines normally found in a liturgical church setting into our lives. Lent is a seasonal, and therefore expected, time for corporate worship that focuses on everyday living. The objective of Lent is to lessen the distance between God and man. Some may choose to remove a distraction, others may choose to add a practice. But no matter what is removed or added, Lent should be practiced in community. The community part is just as significant as the practicing part. In community we are taught that there is grace. Grace and redemption are two prominent figures in the Lenten narrative, and we experience both grace and redemption individually and corporately. Thus, Lent should be practiced by everyone, together.

Understanding that it is not a forced version of holiness, or ResLife’s new trendy way to “start conversations,” the student body could choose to set aside denominational differences for 40 days and encourage one another with corporate worship. Who knows, maybe healthy relationships will magically sprout up and blossom … one can always hope.