8 things to do with your parents on Biola Weekend

When at Biola, do as the Biolans do. Go with your parents and check out one — or all! — of the places on this fun list!

Café Veronese offers a variety of coffees and teas, as well as desserts ranging from cakes to crépes, all served in a garden environment. | Emily Arnold/THE CHIMES

Dylan Pruchnic, Writer

Between the devastating addition of TLC’s new show “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo” and the unfavorable consequences of the NFL referee lockout, it appears that the world is in need of some good, wholesome entertainment. Well, look no further. Biola Weekend is approaching, starting Friday. Biola weekend is a time to welcome relatives, alumni, and hope for a better tomorrow, or at least a better weekend. Of all the amusing activities on and off campus here are a few that you and your loved ones can enjoy together, so check them out.

1. The Cinema and Media Arts department will be showing the best of a series of short films directed and produced by the Biola students and faculty. This event starts at 2 p.m. Friday.  These videos unite the professionalism of Biolas Cinema program with awe inspiring stories.  This is something you don’t want to miss!

2. Your parents will swoon over Farrell’s Ice Cream Parlour, which may have been their favorite restaurant in their teenage years. Located in downtown Brea, this hotspot for birthday celebrations will be nostalgic for your parents and entertaining for all.

3. The whole family is invited to a Biola barbecue and street fair combination that will take place at 4 p.m. on Friday. This blend of activities is a fun way to immerse your family in two things that Biola has plenty of: incredible food and art.

4. Orange County City Circle is part of a fascinating city with old town ambience that will have something for any member of the family. From antiques to dining to history, it’s all waiting!  

5. If your relatives have developed the idea that Biola students are all work and no play,     shatter that illusion with one of the most entertaining and enjoyable experiences of the year: Punk ‘n’ Pie. The event where Biola students strut their stuff. To tell you what to expect seems rather futile; if there is one thing to know about Punk ‘n’ Pie, it is to expect the unexpected.

6. McClain’s Coffeehouse is a 1920s Fullerton townhouse transformed to beloved coffee house and is open late displaying local art work and hosting events. While their regular coffee is a little weak, their speciality drinks are yelp.com approved.

7. Of course, you wouldn’t want to miss the 5K Run for Micah 6:8 starting at 7 a.m. on Saturday. Maybe the only time you would even consider running would be if you were a contestant in the Hunger Games, but this 5K gives you the option to walk and the opportunity to support Biola’s Social Justice Ministry.

8. Also located in Fullerton, Café Veronese is known for its off-the-wall yet beautiful decorations and tranquil garden atmosphere and offers drinks that will please even the Seattle coffee snob. Hopefully your parents will be so happy to see you that they buy you some coffee, and if they do you can’t go wrong with their hazelnut latte.