Words from the wise: a challenge to live in the now

AS president Chris Yim encourages students to develop their talents and deepen their relationships with each other.

Christopher Yim and Christopher Yim

Olivia Blinn/THE CHIMES

We all seek to find who we are and what we were created to be. We want purpose, a meaning to life to fill the void that is felt everyday. We’re young and excited about life, waiting for our big break.

Unfortunately, we’re not all on the Justin Bieber road to success. The good news is that you get to create your own path in life. You are here at Biola to grow, to be challenged, and to be “equipped to impact the world for Christ.”

Over the last two summers I have been fortunate to intern for Adam Christing, the founder and president of Clean Comedians. I gained valuable experience in the work field and got a better understanding of myself, where I want to be and how I was going to get there. It was too good to keep this newfound epiphany to myself.

Therefore, I decided to run for Associated Students president with a vision to equip students for their purpose through prayer and partnership.

By God’s grace, I was elected.

Prayer is powerful and we often forget that we have a means of communication to God through it. Prayer brings us together as the body of Christ, and it offers hope and comfort. As leaders of the campus, I believe it is our responsibility to pray intentionally for Biola and its students. I am committed to making prayer a habit in AS because with prayer, we find wisdom and discernment from the Holy Spirit. It is by prayer that we abide in God and through it we must listen carefully in the midst of our noisy lives.

With noise levels increasing every day through our friends, media, technology, etc., it becomes harder to give proper reverence to God. That is why prayer is so important to me. It makes me remember that God is in control and I am just a product of grace.

We were all given gifts, talents and things that we thrive in; when you mesh that with your occupation, you find who you were created to be! I desire so much to give students a purpose, not just a job! I want us to excel and become the best we can be by discovering our talents and expanding on them.

That is why AS is partnering with Career Development to help develop students for the professional field, wherever that may be. I have greatly benefited from Career Development, through help with my resume and getting connected with companies that want to hire college-educated young people. I hope that the student body can be empowered to explore their purpose and prepare for the future. Therefore, AS will be organizing company tours for students as a platform to get a head start on their careers.

“From This Place: Proclaiming Good News in a Changing World” is this year’s chapel theme. Are you equipped to proclaim the gospel wherever you are after Biola? The journey we take during our time at Biola is one that sharpens us into the individuals that God has called us to be so that when we depart “From This Place,” we are equipped to “impact the world for Christ” as leaders in the world.

This year, I challenge you to live in the present. Develop long-lasting relationships by challenging each other through asking the tough questions of life. Live intentionally and ask yourself, “Where do I want to be five years from now?”

Final thoughts: Always be yourself! We are the body of Christ and if the hands are trying to be the feet and vice versa, the body is out of place.

Use this year to discover yourself and what role you play in God’s kingdom. John Mason, a popular author and speaker, said:

“You were born an original. Don’t die a copy.”

I firmly believe we all have something unique to contribute to the body of Christ. That being said, the AS staff and I are here to serve the student body, to be an advocate for students to administration, in order to create a community that fosters friendships and that cares, so that when you depart from Biola, you are ready to impact the world for Christ.

Because of Him,

Chris Yim
AS President