Biola Queer Underground: Other Christian universities

Biola is among many other schools that uphold similar standards in relation to homosexuality, and they are not the first to deal with dissenting groups.

Biola is not the first Christian university to have a conversation about homosexuality on campus. Many other schools in the Council of Christian Colleges and Universities have been participating in this conversation as well.

Azusa Pacific University

Azusa addresses homosexuality in their handbook with the following:

“Students who proclaim or engage in a romanticized same-sex relationship or any homosexual acts or behavior will be subject to the disciplinary process.”

In their statement on sexuality, they list homosexual acts among many other “sexual behaviors [that are] expressly forbidden,” including adultery and incest.

See the full statement on sexuality here

Point Loma Nazarene University

In their handbook, PLNU discusses sexuality, saying:

“In accord with the Church of the Nazarene, PLNU affirms that sexual intimacy is God-ordained and to be practiced within the covenantal relationship of heterosexual marriage.  Practices outside of this context may be subject to institutional intervention, which may include student conduct processes.”

Last year, their Associated Student Body spiritual director, an elected student chaplain, stepped down after announcing that he is gay.

Point Loma's school paper, Point Weekly covered the story. It even garnered coverage by sdnews.com

Westmont College 

Westmont received a letter last year from LGBT alumni about the school’s ban on homosexual behavior. Their handbook addresses homosexuality alongside other sins, as seen below.

“The college does not condone practices that Scripture forbids. Such activities include but are not limited to occult practices, drunkenness, theft, profanity, and dishonesty. Such activities also include sexual relations outside of marriage and homosexual practice. Westmont further recognizes that Scripture condemns ‘sins of the spirit’ such as covetousness, jealousy, pride, and lust. By their very nature, these sins are more difficult to discern. Because they lie at the heart of the relationship between the individual and God they are of central concern to the Westmont community.”

To read more about the letter sent to Westmont, see the LA Times’ coverage