AS Senate Rundown: March 20, 2012

AS senators heard two new proposals and passed a proposal by the Coalition for Social Action at this week’s meeting.

Megan Garton

AS meets every Tuesday afternoon to discuss campus proposals and plans. | Meagan Garton/THE CHIMES

Christine Chan and Christine Chan

New proposals

• Sophomore Sarah Croswhite, Coalition for Social Action chair, requested $200 to provide refreshments for four prayer meetings that will be taking place this semester. Croswhite said she was requesting the money because CSA has not yet held events of that nature nor have they hosted any chapels this semester.
    • Juniors Christopher McGee and Michael Ottenad, Stewart Hall and Hart Hall senators respectively, requested $200 to help fund “StewHart Table” — a weekly event with refreshments that helps promote community between the two dorms and provides residents with information about AS events and proposals. Part of the requested funds would also go toward a StewHart flag.

“[The flag] would be something that could give year after year,” Ottenad said.

Passed

• Senators unanimously approved another proposal from Croswhite for CSA requesting $100, which will be used for office supplies, resources and any miscellaneous items needed for events. The funds will be used only for this semester.

Miscellaneous

• Senators discussed general guidelines about contingency for next year’s senate. Junior Janine Marderian, Associated Students president, said that having a general framework is helpful for a new and inexperienced senate when making financial decisions.