Spanish services spice up chapel schedule

Thursday option allows students to practice language through praise

Photo by Faith Martinez

A door in Baja California, Mexico welcomes visitors. Students can get a multicultural experience without leaving campus during Thursday’s Spanish chapel.

Originally published Oct. 10, 2007.

The standard chapel format looks a little different in Mayers Auditorium this morning.

Sure, the music starts up, the students begin to sing and the praise team belts out a heartfelt praise chorus.

Then a few students gather at the front to read some Bible verses, and they end with a prayer.

Dr. Hugo Garcia heads to the front of the room and delivers a challenging message about Christ’s command to spread the Gospel.

Seems pretty standard, right?

Oh, it’s all in Spanish.

The Modern Languages department is pushing harder than ever this year to put on some of the best Spanish chapels Biola has ever seen, and it looks like it’s working. Led in worship by the incomparable Rique Pantoja and his praise team, students and faculty gather together at 9:30 on select Thursday mornings to worship God in another language.

“It combines the spiritual with the acquisition of language,” said professor Daniel Aanderud, one of the many Modern Languages faculty members that helps to put on the chapels. “It encourages students to apply their Spanish and participate.”

Many of the students do just that. Whether it’s singing with the praise team or reading a Bible verse aloud or simply greeting people in Spanish as they walk in the door, students take a very active role in making Spanish chapel the experience that it is.

Sophomores Alicia Prickett and Samantha Schaffter both see a lot to like about Spanish chapel.

“It’s nice to use what I’ve learned to praise God,” Prickett said.

Schaffter’s favorite aspect of Spanish chapel – the music — is certainly shared by many other students: The worship team will translate a familiar praise song into Spanish, giving the students some familiar ground to stand on as they learn new words to a familiar tune.

According to Dr. Graciela Pérez, Chair of the Modern Languages department, Spanish chapel first started six years ago as a simple but unique way for students to hear the Spanish they were learning in a different context.

It has done nothing but grown since then.

“There’s been a lot of change from the beginning,” Pérez says, “With the bilingual Powerpoint presentations and all the areas for participation, we’re trying to give a more interactive role to the students.”

Just like anyone else, Pérez has her favorite part of chapel: “I’m Latina, so I love the Latin music!”

Judging by the smiles and foot-tapping throughout the audience, many students agree with her.

The atmosphere is certainly unique, but the whole chapel is so welcoming that it becomes hard not to feel at home throughout the morning.

“Sometimes we become too routine in our worship,” Pérez suggests, “Every once in a while, it’s good to change that routine and to connect with God in a different environment.”

Junior Priscilla Cobb, in her third semester of Spanish at Biola, enjoys the change of pace as well.

“The worship is different and fun, and it’s a good way to practice a skill that’s such a ‘use it or lose it’ type of thing,” she said.