AS Senate Rundown: Oct. 25, 2011

AS senators passed three pending proposals, denied one and heard two new proposals during their meeting on Oct. 25.

Christine Chan, Writer

On Tuesday, senators heard two new proposals for a Coalition for Social Action luncheon and Hope’s Christmas all hall. They also passed three pending proposals and denied one.

• The senate heard one new proposal requesting $250 for a luncheon on Friday, Nov. 4, from sophomore Sarah Croswhite, Coalition for Social Action chair. The luncheon will serve as a time for faculty and students alike to brainstorm different ways to get the Biola community thinking about justice and God’s heart for the oppressed in every aspect. The requested funds will go toward bagged lunches for an estimated 25 people. Currently, CSA’s budget only covers chapel fees for facilities, speaker honorariums and other supplies.
  • Junior Amy Thomas and sophomore Laura Cook, Hope Hall resident assistants, requested $800 for Hope’s traditional December’s Eve all hall. Almost all Hope residents attend December’s Eve, which is one of their most recognizable traditions, according to Thomas. However, their current budget for the all hall is only about $200. If granted, the funds will go towards Christmas-themed food and cider, activities, the December’s Eve Toast and decorations, some of which broke last year and need to be replaced.
  • A proposal requesting $6,500 for the Biola Film Festival taking place in the spring was partially granted in the amount of $4,850. Senators agreed most residents were receptive to the idea but uncomfortable about passing such a large amount since attending the event also requires purchasing a ticket. Additionally, there were concerns about whether the entertainment venue, a burlesque dance and theatre group, was too racy for an AS-sponsored event. Junior Christen Brown, Off Campus Commuter senator, said she felt more comfortable supplementing partial funding for the event and excluding the $1,650 entertainment fee.
  • Senators denied a proposal requesting $1,300 for the HUOD, an acronym for Hart Upper Odd Dorm, annual floor Christmas Party. Senators said that student feedback was mostly negative, especially since it was an event exclusive to only a few people and their dates. Senior Luke Robinson, Sigma senator, said that it was risky to give partial funding because it made it more difficult to show fairness to other floors. This is the first time HUOD has requested money from AS.
  • The senate unanimously passed the proposal from senior Kesley Seitz, vice president of services. Seitz requested $1,450 to act as a facilities buffer for large events like Punk ‘N’ Pie and others that take place throughout the semester. Any leftover funds will roll back into contingency.“The reason why this is in here in the first place is because we don’t know what Facilities is going to do,” said junior Janine Marderian, AS senior vice president. “We don’t know what extra bill will come in two months after an event.”
  • The request for $845 to fund Stewart Hall’s annual Kilt Fest, which will take place in a couple weeks, was also unanimously approved. Although Robinson joked he was nervous about dorm rivalry hostility, junior Christopher Yim, Emerson senator, said he and his residents agreed that the festive event would foster greater community within the dorm.