AS Senate Rundown: Oct. 11, 2011

AS senators approved five pending proposals in Tuesday’s meeting.

Christine Chan, Writer

The senate heard a proposal concerning Stewart Hall’s upcoming annual Kilt Fest, passed five pending proposals and denied one in their last meeting before next week’s Torrey Conference.

• Junior Christopher McGee, Stewart senator, requested $845 for the annual Stewart Hall Kilt Fest, a long-standing tradition in which almost all Stewart residents participate. McGee noted this year’s requested budget is slightly smaller than last year’s. The event is scheduled to take place on Nov. 4 and serves to build greater community within the dorm.
  • Senators unanimously approved a proposal of $1,635 for Alpha Hall’s annual Candy Land event, which is a safe trick-or-treating alternative for young children on Halloween. Senators said they had received enthusiastic resident feedback from students in all dorms.
  • Senators approved another proposal from last week for $834 to fund the bi-monthly Good Morning Off Campus Community event and a Christmas party, both free for all off-campus students, including those in the Block and the Bluff.
  • A proposal requesting $1,015 for The 138 Collective, a blog staffed by a few Biola students and alumni that focuses on Los Angeles culture, was denied. Junior Michael Ottenad, Hart senator, said he believed the proposal should not pass because the project did not want to be seen as having been funded by AS to outside corporations. Senators primarily agreed that the request was not a wise use of student funding because the money would not really affect students outside of the project.
  • The senate approved an $800 request to fund bus transportation for an International Student Association small groups outing. The funds will be used for a round-trip bus ride. Junior Christopher Yim, Emerson senator, said that as a former ISA small groups leader, he understood how difficult it was to run events without finding transportation for all students.“This would be a great way to have AS support a group of people at Biola that really want to build community,” said sophomore Beatriz Delgadillo, Alpha East senator.
  • Senators unanimously passed a proposal from senior Ryan Freudenburg, AS director of Marketing and Communications, to give money to MarCom, most of which will be used for marketing and revamping the AS website. This money was originally in MarCom’s budget until it was moved back into contingency over the summer.
  • Senators approved partial funding of $350 for a proposal for the 2011 Biola film “Love, Jack,” instead of the requested $3,000. Senators felt that the movie would only reach a portion of the Biola community. They hope that the passed funding will be be put toward the on-campus premiere and advertising, which can reach a larger part of the community.