Construction underway for new fireplace and pavilion

The 2011 senior gift of a fireplace and pavilion is set to open in December.

Bethany Miller, Writer

What used to be a tree-shaded lawn between the mailboxes and the Caf has been fenced off and occupied by construction machinery since last Monday. That area will soon be converted into an outdoor fireplace and sitting area, according to Greg Balsano, vice president of university services.

Construction near the SUB

The fireplace, the class of 2011’s senior gift to Biola, will be gas-fueled, which Balsano said will be more convenient for students to use since it will not require the storage and clean-up of wood logs and because the fire can be turned on and off with a switch. There will also be a timer that students can set so the fire will turn off automatically.

A 34-by-22-foot pavilion will cover the entire fireplace patio area. Four individually-controlled, timer-operated gas heaters will be installed in the ceiling, as well as interior lighting. Inside the pavilion and around the fireplace, there will be enough seating for about 36 people, Balsano estimated. Outlets will be available for students to plug in laptops or other electronics.

Balsano said the pavilion, which will be open 24 hours a day, will be considered part of the SUB. Consequently, the responsibility will fall to Associated Students to determine any specific uses for the pavilion.

The fireplace was originally supposed to be installed at the end of the breezeway between the Bookstore and Eagle’s Nest, but the plans were amended due to an underground gas line that would have been dangerous to build around.

Class of 2011 gives back

The idea for the fireplace came primarily from Lizzie Neely, a 2011 alum and former AS president. Neely said that last year, Alumni Relations assigned her the task of suggesting a creative senior gift from her class. With the help of her mother, Balsano and some of her friends, Neely decided to propose the fireplace.

Senior gifts are a longstanding tradition at most universities and many high schools. To acknowledge how much they have gained from their schools and to begin the habit of giving back regularly, graduating students are asked to contribute a small gift toward some cause that will benefit future generations of students. At Biola, seniors contribute the amount of their year — those who graduated in 2010 gave $20.10, those who graduated in 2011 gave $20.11, and so on. Biola’s class of 2010 contributed to a special scholarship fund, and the class of 2011 gave $2,000 for the fireplace. Funding for the pavilion, heaters and seating came out the pre-existing university services budget, according to Neely.

Balsano said the fireplace and pavilion should be completed in time for the Christmas tree lighting ceremony Dec. 2.