Molten lava chocolate cake

Bethany Linnenkohl shares a student-friendly chocolate cake recipe.

Bethany Linnenkohl, Writer

Molten lava chocolate cake is an easy desert that college will love to make. | All photos courtesy of Bethany Linnenkohl

We are now in the second week back on campus and many students often have trouble with this time of transition. Food from the Caf will never equal a home-cooked meal, and prepackaged, pre-cut squares of cookie dough bought from the grocery store will never satisfy the desire for grandma’s cookies. Wouldn’t it be exciting to enter the dorm kitchen and see a fellow student baking cookies from scratch, crème brulee or chocolate chip banana bread?

I hope this recipe spurs you to creativity and to learn more in the culinary field. Dedication in this subject not only has positive results for the dishes you consume in your college years but also for the years following. So, I gladly introduce this molten lava chocolate cake. There are many variations of this type of cake but this recipe, adapted from the Tasty Kitchen, a recipe-sharing site, is very college student friendly.

Ingredients:

-4 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate
-1/2 cup butter
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-1 cup powdered sugar
-2 whole eggs
-2 egg yolks
-6 tablespoons flour
-Whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream to top

Steps:

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. If you are baking on campus, note that some dorm ovens have issues. Try to keep the temperature at 425 degrees so the top does not burn too much, but you may have to keep the cakes in the oven a little longer.
  2. Microwave chocolate and butter in large bowl on high for 45 seconds to one minute, until butter is melted. Whisk until chocolate pieces are melted.
  3. Stir in powdered sugar until well blended. Separate the yolks from the whites of two eggs. Whisk in eggs and egg yolks. Stir in flour.
  4. Divide between four greased custard cups.
  5. Bake 13 to 14 minutes or more depending on your oven, until sides are firm and center is soft, but not jiggly. Let stand one minute.
  6. Invert cakes on serving dishes and top with whipped cream or ice cream.

When your spoon breaks into these little masterpieces, be prepared for an eruption of delicious, gooey chocolate. Milk, ice cream, or whipped cream is almost necessary for this dish in order to counterbalance the richness. These are sure to please!