Hors d’oeuvres—designed to please

Bethany Linnenkohl shares how to make easy, bite-sized treats for back-to-school gatherings.

Bethany Linnenkohl, Writer

Whether you’re hosting an end of summer send-off or a beginning of school kick-off, appetizers are a must for parties of any size. Here are two appetizers sure to please and leave you with money in your wallet.

Caprese skewers are a fresh and fun snack to share with friends. | All photos courtesy of Bethany Linnenkohl

Caprese Skewers

Originating in Italy, the fun and festive colors of the nation’s flag are found on this well-paired skewer. Though there is not enough time left for a trip to Italy this summer, you can bring this international cuisine to your table.

Ingredients:

-15 grape or cherry tomatoes
-15 mozzarella balls
-15 basil leaves
-Olive oil
-Salt
-15 skewers or toothpicks

Pierce a tomato with a skewer and slide it to the end. Do the same with a mozzarella ball, and following on the end, a large leaf of basil folded in half. With a silicone pastry brush lightly brush olive oil over each caprese skewer. Arrange skewers on a plate or tray for presentation and sprinkle lightly with salt. Bella!

Bruschetta

There are many varying recipes to make bruschetta but this is one of my favorites. While working full-speed in a kitchen, it is often hard for me to truly savor my food as there is rarely time to break and eat. Also, after trying so many flavorful, high-quality dishes I am picky about what I choose to consume. Apologies to the last guy that took me on a date!

Bruschetta never disappoints though. There are many flavor possibilities, allowing for creativity with the ingredients — from ricotta and mozzarella to lemon, eggplant and asparagus. The key is to pick your basics carefully. Choose firm-but-ripe tomatoes and always-fresh basil.

Ingredients:

-1 baguette
-Olive oil
-2 large tomatoes
-15-20 leaves of basil
-1 large garlic clove
-1/8 medium red onion
-2 tsp olive oil
-Salt and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut the baguette into half-inch thick slices and lay flat on a cookie baking sheet. Coat each slice with olive oil using a pastry brush. Toast the slices for five to six minutes or until golden brown.
  2. While the oven preheats, cut out the stem area of the tomatoes and dice them. If you are on campus, I don’t suggest using the Caf knives as they will turn your tomatoes to mush. Drain the tomatoes of excess juices. Chop the basil leaves or use herb scissors. Finely press the garlic with a garlic press. Finely dice the red onion and incorporate each of these in a bowl and mix well.
  3. Add in the olive oil and season with the salt and pepper to taste. Mix again then spoon the tomato mixture on top of the cooled bread slices. Arrange appetizers on a plate and serve immediately so the bread does not become soggy.

Buon Appetito!