New AS presidential team faces exciting opportunities

The recently elected 2011-2012 AS President and Vice President have exciting opportunities for their term, but must stay vigilant in executing vision.

With the Associated Students elections decided, Biola will welcome John Drebinger and runningmate Janine Marderian as next year’s AS president and vice president. From their platform of “Connect. Enable. Thrive,” Drebinger and Marderian captured students’ visions — and votes, easily winning with over 50 percent of the total vote count.

Drebinger has a familiarity with the AS system that is reassuring, which worked in his favor in the elections. After a year serving as AS vice president, Drebinger understands the structure and working processes of the organization from the inside, and promised in his election platform to build on that existing knowledge.

Drebinger has the opportunity to bring something to AS this coming year that every student-run organization desperately needs, but cannot always provide — consistency. Campus organizations like AS have a high turnover rate every year, mostly for one simple reason — graduation. Since Drebinger stepped into his current role as AS vice president as a junior, however, he has the opportunity to execute long-term changes that a one-term leader simply could not.

Drebinger said in chapel last week that “connecting is a major part of [his] vision” for AS. That vision needs to continue to be articulated for the student body so AS can strive to be more personal, more accountable and more effective. The vision Drebinger and Marderian have set in place is comprehensive — but still needs more specifics. The average Biola student can be a bit boggled by just how much money AS has at its disposal, and is at a loss for knowledge of what that money is used for, or could be used for. Lines of communication need to be better fostered, and Drebinger and Marderian are well aware of and concerned with that.

On behalf of Biola’s future, The Chimes urges Drebinger and Marderian to take full advantage of the experience they bring to the table, and to continue to outline their specific plans to the student body as they encourage transparency and participation.