Anonymous $1 Million Enables Production Center Completion

Photo by Rebecca Pearsey

Bricks and mortar lay stacked at the back of the Production Center after a day of construction made possible by the anonymous donor.

An anonymous donor recently gave one million dollars to help fund Biola’s Production Center renovations, according to Doug Tarpley, Dean of Fine Arts and Communications.

This gift will allow the project to move forward and be completed before next fall—a welcome blessing after progress was stalled due to lack of finances.

“That million dollars actually took us to the point where we have enough for building now,” said Mark Spicer, the Production Center manager.

When asked if the donation was a surprise, Spicer laughed.

“Whenever you get a million dollars, it’s always a big thing.”

Ken Bascom, Senior Director of Facilities Planning and Construction, elaborated on the numbers in an e-mail interview:

“We now have just over $2 million raised, and need about $100,000 more to fully complete construction, inside and out.”

While Bascom said he hoped that the rest of the money will be raised within the next few months, the construction process is well organized to guard against possible snags.

“We have a backup plan to defer certain aspects of the plan if the rest of the money does not come in.”

Bascom said that the fundraising is continuing, as is the construction work—with limitations. Until May 27, only work that doesn’t interfere with classes or projects is being done. This includes asphalt instillation, electrical and air conditioning work, and starting a brick wall that will screen Studio A.

After the 27th, the last day of classes, the remodeling will proceed freely.

“The summer will take the Production Center project into full swing with construction and new equipment acquisition and installation,” Spicer said.

According to Bascom, the construction, inside and out, is due to be finished by August 27th. Highlights of the final product include new restrooms, a new lobby, and the completion of the convergent newsroom.

“We’re getting rid of as much [old] equipment as we can,” Spicer said, and noted that the new equipment depends on fundraising.

In the meantime, the Production Center is fully functional, and is used for student media groups such as Eaglevision and Late, as well as for class projects.

Daniel McNutt, a sophomore film major, is one such student.

“It hasn’t been bad for me,” he said of the transition, as he worked on a project for his documentary class in one of the editing rooms. “I think it’s going to improve our facility and make things better.”

For more detailed information, go to http://www.biola.edu/news/construction/studio_b/