SCORR Conference Promotes Unity

Photo by Faith Martinez

An ordained minister and passionate communicator, Brenda has been traveling the nation speaking about racial reconciliation to a wide variety of audiences. She founded Overflow Ministries Inc. and is currently the President of Salter McNeil and Associates, a reconciliation training and consulting company based in Chicago.

Ethnicity, immigration, justice, poverty and racial reconciliation were the topics that many Biola students were challenged to interact with last weekend. Students were faced with topics and issues such as trying to grapple with the true meaning of what is to be the body of Christ at the 12th annual Student Congress on Racial Reconciliation Conference (SCORR).

The SCORR conference started on Friday, Feb. 8, with a diverse Worship Mosaic night that included different styles of worship and cultural expressions embodied in song and dance and ended on Saturday night, Feb. 9, with Taiko fest, a performance composed of powerful sound and harmony.

All Biola students were welcome as well as non-Biola students, some who even traveled from Oregon and Indiana to be part of this conference. Students who engaged in this conference got to hear from a variety of speakers who brought their insight to the conference.

Ordained minister and author Brenda Salter McNeil was the keynote speaker this year. Dr. Brad Christerson, a professor of sociology at Biola, Doug Schaupp, the associate regional director for the greater Los Angeles Division of InterVarsity Christian Fellowship were among the selected speakers for this SCORR conference whose theme was The Kingdom in Our Midst.

Director of SCORR Glen Kinoshita expressed that this conference focused on being a reminder that the kingdom of God is a present day reality and that all people, regardless of race or ethnicity, should be thriving to seek His kingdom.

Students who participated in SCORR felt that the workshops were the most beneficial part of the conference. Each workshop had a speaker that presented a topic in regards to racial reconciliation and led the group of students in discussion of the particular subject.

“I really liked the discussions the most because I got the opportunity to hear a different perspective and voice mine as well,” junior Theresa Soto said.

Christerson, who led a workshop about “Religiously Charged Ethnocentrism and Conflict in the Kingdom of God,“ felt that the turnout for this year’s conference was great.

“Every year SCORR conference gets bigger and bigger. Biola is going in a good direction,” said Christerson. “I only wish that it wasn’t just this weekend in the whole year that we talk about such important issues concerning the Kingdom of God. It would be great if Biola could integrate these issues in Bible classes and chapel.”

Due to the department of Residence Life’s decision to mandate the attendance of all resident assistants, directors and coordinators at the conference, the number of Biola students who attended the conference increased quite a bit this year.

Junior Elisabeth Lauesen, who has attended the conference before, was surprised most of all by the diverse group of students that were present for the conference.

“Biola is definitely taking baby steps to being racially reconciled, and it’s great to see more involved students,” Lauesen said.

Although some students felt that there should have been a stronger Biola participation, this year’s SCORR conference was still the most attended in the last 12 years.

SCORR conference dedicated two days of opportunity to students to engage in issues of relevant importance to all Christians of the body of Christ. The students, through healthy dialogue, fellowship and prayer, were able to work towards a more united kingdom in diversity.

“I walked away from SCORR conference learning that racial reconciliation especially in the body of Christ isn’t just an idea but a mandate from God,” Soto said.