La Mirada Council Candidate’s Forum convenes at Biola

Biola hosted a City Council Candidate’s Forum for La Mirada city council candidates and members of the community on Feb. 24, in preparation for the March 8 election.

Alyson Luthi, Writer

Editor’s note: This story has been updated to add Andrew Sarega to the list of candidates.

La Mirada City Council members and proactive members of the community met Thursday evening, Feb. 24, for a City Council Candidate’s Forum hosted in Biola’s Café Banquet Room.

In anticipation of the March 8 election to fill three of the city council’s chairs, the five candidates gathered to discuss what each believes La Mirada’s greatest needs are and their ideas for potential improvement. Topics included infrastructure renovations, cultivation of local businesses, maintenance of public safety, and the protection of development funds.

Steve Jones, the only incumbent candidate, expressed an overarching need for the new city council to provide experience and integrity for efficient leadership. “We need assimilation,” said Jones. “Everyone needs to be up and running with similar priorities.”

Other candidates include Paul Brown, Deputy Attorney for the State of California; Larry Mowles, an insurance executive who also serves as a Planning Commissioner for La Mirada; Steve De Ruse, a local pastor as well as a Community Services Commissioner and member of the Chamber of Commerce in La Mirada; Andrew Sarega, a police officer.

David Peters, professor of political science and public administration at Biola formerly served as mayor and city council member for La Mirada. Peters opened the night’s forum by welcoming the candidates and community to Biola University. “We’ve always had a good ‘town and gown’ relationship,” he remarked later. “We want to be a good neighbor in this community. There is no economic engine that generates as much support for La Mirada as Biola does.”