DTR Week closes with sex seminar and social mixer

Biola wrapped up DTR Week with a seminar on sex and a snowy mingling event.

Job Ang

Students toss snowballs at each other during the Boy Meets Girl: Snow On McNally mixer event on Thursday, February 17, 2011. | Job Ang/THE CHIMES

Students toss snowballs at each other during the Boy Meets Girl: Snow On McNally mixer event on Thursday, February 17, 2011. The event followed a seminar that dealt with tough questions about sex. | Job Ang/THE CHIMES
Those who participated in the “Sex” seminar Thursday night shared in a part of history. According to Matthew Hooper, Biola’s associate dean of students, the seminar was Biola’s first “Sex” talk ever, and, because of the healthy turnout of students, it might not be Biola’s last.

Due to the strength of student interest, organizers moved Thursday night’s seminar, originally scheduled for Calvary Chapel, to Sutherland Auditorium.

“I think it’s great for students to have a Christian perspective on sex and dating,” freshman Holly Savage said.

The “sex” seminar featured Jonathan Anderson, assistant professor of drawing and painting, Jon Lunde, associate professor of New Testament, Gary Strauss, professor of psychology, and Gina Sunukjian, a sexual health specialist. It gave Biola students the opportunity to hear from members of Biola’s faculty and a sexual health professional.

Various aspects of sex covered

The seminar covered a variety of topics revolving around sex. Anderson discussed how Media influences views of sex, Strauss and Sunukjian answered questions on what the Christian’s role in sexuality should be and Lunde spoke on restoration and healing after falling into sexual immorality.

Students were encouraged to ask the panel questions about difficult subjects like masturbation, how far Christians should go in a dating relationship and how Christians can avoid falling into lust.

Students bond over snow

After the seminar, students were given the opportunity to mingle with old and new friends at the “Boy Meets Girl: Snow on McNally” event. This event was designed to be a “social mixer” for students. Students were congregating around the mound of snow with hot chocolate in hand and techno music playing in the background.

Students said that the amount of snow didn’t exactly meet their expectations. The 20 tons of snow promised only provided enough snow for a couple snowballs.

“The amount of snow is kind of pitiful,” Savage said.

Despite the small amount of snow, students still managed to make two slides for sledding.

“This event is actually really fun,” senior Jasper Biggs said as her friend threw a snowball at her. “I haven’t gotten hurt yet.”