Death of local teen Sydney Ramirez brings community together

The tragic crosswalk death of high school student Sydney Ramirez unite the communities of La Palma and Cypress in support of the family.

Students from John F. Kennedy High School advertise the carwash fundraiser for recently deceased student Sydney Ramirez and take donations from passing drivers on Walker Street. ADAM LORONA/The Chimes

Screeching tires, burnt rubber, and ear-piercing sirens left a sense of horror lingering over John F. Kennedy High School students on Monday Nov. 1, 2010. At approximately 6:45 a.m, sixteen year old Sydney Ramirez and one of her friends were crossing the crosswalk at Crescent Avenue and Watson Street in La Palma, when a white mini van failed to stop for the pedestrians and struck them leaving the friend with scrapes and bruises, and Ramirez in critical condition.

La Palma Police Captain, Eric Nunez, commented that one vehicle stopped at the crosswalk, while the second vehicle, a mini van driven by a 55 year old woman, proceeded through the intersection without noticing the two teenage girls until it was too late. Ramirez was transported to Long Beach Memorial Hospital where she died Thursday after being taken off life support

Community fundraiser exceeds all expectations

On Sunday Nov. 7, the community gathered in the Kennedy High School parking lot to mourn the loss of Sydney Ramirez’s life and fundraise to help her family. Students, parents, and faculty from Kennedy High School put together a carwash and bake sale fundraiser to help the family financially. More than $30,000 was raised according to Monica Beauchamp, president of the Kennedy High School PTSA.

“The family is blown away because they only knew four people at the most (before the incident),” said Erik Peterson, friend of the Ramirez family. But they watched as the entire community came alongside them to show love and comfort.

Accident reinforces need for traffic light

“This event has two functions, to benefit Sydney’s family and to change the crosswalk,” said Gregg Cooper, one of the event organizers. “It’s been an ongoing battle to get something done with the crosswalk for twenty years.”

La Palma and Cypress residents would like to see a traffic light put at the intersection in order to control both vehicle and pedestrian traffic. The Kennedy High School PTSA organized a meeting the following week after the fundraiser event where officials attempted to address residents’ concerns and promised action.

“Sadly it takes a tragedy like this to bring the community together,” Cooper said at the carwash and bake sale event. But because of the tragic loss, the community has come together as one to spread love and hope to the Ramirez family and to each other.

Community gathers in support

“I am amazed by the outpouring of support. I know a lot of good will come from this,” said Sue Peterson, a family friend of the Ramirezes and a Biola faculty member. What was presumed by many to be a small fundraiser became a massive gathering to support the Ramirez family and bond the community together in hope for the future. Peterson said that Sydney’s parents are believers in Christ and they are sure that God is working through the death of their daughter.

Memorial service points to Christ amidst tragedy

Pastor Doug Scholten held the memorial service for Sydney Ramirez at Christ Community Church in Buena Park on Saturday, Nov. 6, 2010. During the service, “he relayed a message of hope,” Peterson said. The service touched the hearts of the approximately 600 people who attended. Debbie Lopez, who attended the service, said that her friend, Christian, was among those moved by Scholten’s sermon. Christian is an Atheist, but through the death of Sydney Ramirez and the memorial service, is starting to see God, Lopez said.

She also stated that this was the first church experience for many Kennedy High students and that Pastor Scholten had done an excellent job reassuring them that there is hope even in tragedy.

Donations are being taken by Kennedy High School’s choir for the Ramirez family to cover the medical expenses. Checks can be made payable to Perfect Harmony Booster Club.