Once hooked, Metzger must reel in prospectives

Unlike the Holy Spirit, a prospective student’s Biola deposit doesn’t always seal the deal. Enter post-admissions recruiting.

Prospective students tour campus on Monday, Feb. 18, 2008, during Spring Preview Day. | SIOBHAN STEWART / The Chimes

Michelle Orgill, Writer

Now that the deadline for students accepted to Biola to plop down their deposits has passed (May 1), post-admission recruiting is in full force.

Deposits, which were trailing last year’s numbers, have soared in the past few weeks. In April, Biola’s deposits were falling behind last year’s totals by 83, despite Metzger’s goal to bring in more students this year than last. But as of May 1, Biola received 1,014 deposits compared to 832 at the same point last year. In a two-week period, Metzger went from being 83 deposits behind to 182 ahead.

In the six business days since May 1, Biola has received an additional 177 deposits, bringing the total to 1191 thus far. Incoming students were required to pay $300 for enrollment and $250 for housing by the first of the month.

“Deposits have trailed last year’s figures for several months,” said Greg Vaughan, vice president for enrollment management. “It’s been frustrating because all other significant indicators have been trending positively. For example, this year we have had more visitors, had more students inquire about the university, more applications and more accepted students than at any time in Biola’s history.”

Schools all over the United States are forced to get creative and pursue student deposits in full force, according to a U.S. News and World Report article. From flying students in for half off to visit at St. John’s Univeristy in Minnesota, to sending Wilkes University’s mascot out to student’s homes in Pennsylvania, schools all over are fighting for students.

André Stephens, senior director of undergraduate admissions for Biola, explained how the department retains students once they have committed to come.

“We also e-mail students with things they need to be aware of and obviously SOS student leaders talking with students during the summer,” Stephens said. “We do have our student ambassadors calling as well. It’s really multi-faceted. It’s the calling, it’s the mailing that goes out, e-mail, Facebook, stuff online and some students visiting.”

In the past, letters have gone out from President Corey to students who have deposited as well as a book, however Metzger administrators are thinking of new idea for this summer.

Other Christian private schools are struggling to stay afloat and keep students, too.

“We just continue conversations, we connect students with current students as well so that they can get to know students that they will be interacting with via Facebook as well as just phone calls and e-mails,” said Todd Pulliam, senior admissions counselor for Westmont University. “We also have counselors in the office of admissions call our students throughout the summer and just check in with them answering questions that they have students know exactly what is going on.”

Azusa Pacific University takes a slightly different approach.

At APU, pre-registration events are held on the road for students outside of Southern California in which future students can connect with each other and register for classes. Facebook is also implemented.

“We use a … Facebook page to get students engaged with each other in preparation for the fall semester, including competitions with prizes that are offered through that Facebook page as an incentive for involvement,” said David Burke, director of admissions at APU.