Police chase ends near Biola

Students alerted via text when a police pursuit of a stolen SUV ended on Figueras Road, just beyond the gate behind Hart Hall.

A police pursuit of a stolen SUV ended on Figueras Road, just beyond the gate behind Hart Hall, Tuesday at 12:28 a.m.

Two suspects, unconnected with Biola and described as male Hispanics in dark clothing, fled the vehicle and were still at large, as far as Campus Safety officials knew. The chase began in Cerritos around midnight. The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, partnering with the Cerritos Police Department, called off the search for the suspects at 2:17 a.m. for reasons still unclear. Students were alerted of the incident through Campus Safety’s emergency text system, and RDs and RAs were stationed inside all dorm lobbies until about 2:15 a.m. to prevent students from going outside.

The text message was merely a “precaution,” said Justin Shelby, public information officer for Campus Safety. Although main campus was not thought to be in immediate danger, John Ojeisekhoba, chief of Campus Safety, said the lockdown was put in place because additional police departments, namely the Orange County Police Department and Anaheim Police Department, were called in to assist the other squads already in place.

“That’s an indication that it was something serious,” Ojeisekhoba said.

Campus Safety employed additional officers to thoroughly search campus before lifting the temporary lockdown.

Officers believe the suspects fled two blocks southeast of campus, around the Rosecrans Avenue and Adelfa Drive area, where the Sheriff’s department focused its search. Obtaining updates from outside police departments, such as the Los Angeles County Police Department’s Norwalk Station, has been difficult, Ojeisekhoba said. Ojeisekhoba is still pursuing updates, however.

“We strive to get information on what’s going on,” he said.

Students can sign up for the emergency text system through Portal. The following is the text message at least 500 students received last night in the 1 a.m. hour:

“The Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department is actively searching for two male Hispanic suspects wearing dark clothing. Main campus does not appear to be affected at the moment. If you are out and about avoid the Rosecrans and Adelfa area just southeast of main campus. Students on campus are advised to remain indoors until the situation is resolved. Campus Safety is monitoring the situation and will provide an update if the need arises.”