Senior Art Shows: Eric Adams and Erin Vaughn display watercolor illustrations in Biola gallery

Eric Adams and Erin Vaughn hold senior art shows at the Biola University Art Gallery.

Chelsea Alling and Chelsea Alling

The work of senior art students Eric Adams and Erin Vaughan kicked off the first round of senior art shows in the Biola University Art Gallery on April 16. Every bachelor of fine arts student in their final semester before graduation has the privilege and requirement to put together a comprehensive thesis show that reflects what they have learned during their time as an art student at Biola. Immense creative freedom is granted to each artist who has one week to inhabit the Art Gallery in whatever way he or she pleases, sharing the space with one or two other graduating seniors. Gallery openings will take place every Monday at 6 p.m. through the end of the semester.

“It’s been, I’ll use the word ‘our,’ experience over the years that to have the students put on a solo exhibit like this really sort of pushes them to the next level,” art professor Barry Krammes said. “A lot of universities, when it comes to a senior show experience, they have a group show, and so everyone will put in maybe one or two pieces. Because we require a body of work, it becomes a real intense experience that forces the student to drastically think about everything, and pushes them to really excel in a way that one or two pieces wouldn’t. Anyone can create one or two pieces.”

Shows result of years of work

By the time a senior presents the show, he or she has spent at least a year progressing through ideas and making changes. The senior show is a culmination of the learning process and a profound opportunity for students to display their unique work.

“Erin is a good example of someone who really, really worked hard for a whole year on her idea,” Krammes said about Vaughan’s show.

Many months of work culminates into the final celebration of a student’s academic and artistic efforts.

“I feel a lot better now that it’s done. It’s definitely been stressful, just trying to finish it, and now that it’s actually done it’s like, ‘Wow, now we get to look at it.’ It’s really exciting,” Adams said on the evening of his opening.

With great effort, discipline, and creativity, Adams’ “Woe is Me” and Vaughan’s “Build Tall: Above the Treetops” lead the way for the coming weeks of student art shows.

Take a peek as you walk by the Art Gallery — It’s a show you will not want to miss!

Senior Eric Adams, 22, from Visalia, titled his show “Woe is Me.” His emphasis is in graphic design, but his final presentation showcases his illustration skills.

Q: What medium did you work in? Give us a brief description of your show.

A: Watercolor, basically strange female heads and object juxtapositions inspired by 19th century poetry.

Q: Where did you draw your greatest inspiration?

A: The 19th century, antiques, illustration, design, tattoos and lots of other things.

Q: What has the process been like for you?

A: It’s been fun to think outside the box and create things in the way that I want.

Q: What was most challenging?

A: Trying to explain my idea to people.

Q: What are you looking forward to after graduation?

A: Working and hopefully improving as an artist.

Q: What is your greatest “take away” as a Biola art major?

A: Being challenged to grow in my art-making and in my walk with Christ, also the overall community.

Senior Erin Vaughan, 21, was born and raised in La Mirada. Her emphasis is in interdisciplinary studio arts and her show is called “Build Tall: Above the Treetops.”

A: I worked with watercolor. It's an illustration installation, where I basically wanted to create a world that invokes memory, adventure and nostalgia.

A: I drew most of my inspiration from my childhood memories, as well as from places I have traveled and things that I have seen.

Q: What did your process look like?

A: My process for this project started with drawing, painting then scanning into the computer, printing and then assembling.

Q: What was most challenging?

A: I'm not experienced at all in installation so diving into that was very challenging. Also thinking about scale and how my drawings would look in the gallery space has been difficult.

A: I'm looking forward to starting my own studio practice after college, and hopefully freelancing and starting my own business.

A: Create good habits, and be in a community that you will thrive in as an artist and as a Christian.