AS Senate Rundown: March 27, 2012

AS senators passed two proposals and heard two new proposals concerning Hart Hall and Good Morning Off-Campus Community events at this week’s meeting.

Megan Garton

AS meets every Tuesday afternoon to discuss campus proposals and plans. | Meagan Garton/THE CHIMES

Christine Chan and Christine Chan

New proposals

• Senior Jade Martinez, a Hart Hall resident assistant, and junior Michael Ottenad, Hart senator, requested $1,442 for a weeklong event called Hart Loves that is taking place April 16-20. Martinez and Ottenad said the event will focus on building community within the dorm, across campus and in the La Mirada community. There will be an event each day of the week and the requested funds will cover food and supply expenses.
  • Junior Christen Brown, Off-Campus Community senator, requested $1,360 for three more Good Morning Off-Campus Community sessions. Off-Campus Community senators have received positive feedback about the biweekly event and have decided to try holding GMOCC every week after spring break, according to Brown. Additionally, a small portion of the requested funds will go toward a bridging event before Mock Rock on April 20 that is designed to motivate commuters to attend Mock Rock.

Passed proposals

• Senators approved a proposal requesting $200 for refreshments for four prayer meetings this semester hosted by the Coalition for Social Action, in place of the CSA chapels that took place last semester.

“I think this builds community in a unique way,” said sophomore Beatriz Delgadillo, Alpha East senator.

• The senate also passed a proposal requesting $200 for StewHart Table, a weekly, joint event for Hart Hall and Stewart Hall that builds community and helps inform residents on AS proposals and events. Funds will go toward refreshments and a StewHart flag.