Guest speakers deserve more respect from students

Students failed to demonstrate godly behavior during the Thursday evening session of Torrey Conference.

Lainey Cray, Writer

I was embarrassed by the conduct of Biola University at the Thursday evening session of Torrey Conference. The behavior displayed toward the speaker Sandra Richter was extremely rude.

It was made clear at the beginning of the session that there would be time for Q-and-A after Ritcher finished speaking and students knew that. When Richter began Q-and-A, hordes of students exited the gym before the session had ended, a habit that Biola students have carried over from chapel, despite reminders and requests not to leave the gym until it is over. Students stomped down the creaky bleacher stairs and talked as they left, distracting the students who stayed. The continuous noise sidetracked the other students from readily listening to the Q-and-A. The commotion only ended when Torrey Conference student leaders walked from their seats in the front to the back of the gym and prevented students from leaving. Leaving early and talking while the conference was in session was not only disrespectful to those listening, but extremely disrespectful to Richter.

Granted, Richter did speak on the controversial topic of plant and creation care, and her topic was challenging to integrate with the conference’s Sabbath theme. Students who had attended her earlier session may have come into the Thursday evening session with negative outlook toward what she had to say. Also, during Richter’s talk, she jokingly criticized Biola’s Hebrew program and the dean of Spiritual Development, Todd Pickett. All of these things may have contributed to a sense of discontent among Biola students at the session.

However, none of these merited Biola’s rude behavior toward her. There is a respectful way to disagree with someone and that was not it. Our behavior amidst controversy should still mirror that of Christ’s. Students leaving the gymnasium interrupted her Q-and-A time and communicated to her that she was not worth listening to. She was a distinguished guest of Biola University and Scripture clearly affirms hospitality as how to welcome our guests. I doubt that Richter felt very welcomed as students noisily left while she was on stage. Rather, it was insulting. The conduct of Biola University toward Richter during Torrey Conference’s Thursday evening session was unfortunate because it did not exemplify godly behavior.

Please direct all comments to the related Campus Conversation article.