Senate approves mascot suit, Chimes conference at meeting

At the AS Senate’s Tuesday meetings, senators give audience to parties requesting money, vote on pending proposals and discuss finances.

Here is a rundown of the most recent senate meeting, which was held September 25th.

NEW PROPOSALS (have yet to be voted on)

1. Rugby Club: $1900 i. Biola’s insurance is nervous about the sport, so the company is requiring a higher payment. ii. Biola has agreed to pay for subsequent semesters, but wants them to pay for first semester
  2. Ordering magazines for SUB i. Times, Newsweek, LA Times
  3. Donation boxes for Horton i. The dorm wants to start a fundraiser that will benefit a charitable organization.
  4. Candyland (Oct 31) in Alpha: $1500 i. It’s an event for kids in the community to trick or treat ii. Need the money for art supplies, etc. iii. Approx 1,000 kids came last year
  5. Commuter Event: $250 i. Donuts and coffee ii. Will be held at collegium iii. They are co-sponsoring with Commuter Life and Career Services to keep costs down.

VOTING (on proposals from the previous week) **unless noted otherwise, all proposals passed in their full amount.

1. External hard drive for yearbook PASSED for $200
  2. New mascot suit PASSED for $1,075
  3. Chimes conference PASSED for $2,205 (50% of original amount)

VP of Finance Report

Money rolled over from last semester: $41,722. Money already spent by senate: $17,175 Current available funds: $116, 439

“We’re considering asking for a raise in student fees,” said vice president of finance Rob Johnson.

(Current student fee is $180, 75 of that percent going to AS and 25 percent going to SMU. AS student fees are incorporated into each students tuition bill.)

Future Projects in the senate’s consideration

SUB patio—$30,000

Carpet for AS office (in SUB)—$7,000

Minutes from each weeks senate meeting can be found on BUBBS in Conferences/ Sub Plaza/ Associated Student Gov’t/ Senate Minutes.