Biola tees off for scholarship fund

29th annual tournament draws donors

Photo by Rebecca Pearsey

Golfers practice at the driving range before the 29th annual Biola Golf Tournament, a fundraiser.

This morning marked Biola’s 29th annual golf tournament. Hundreds showed up for the event with their golf bags, ready for a game on the sunny greens of Los Coyotes Country Club in Buena Park.

Biola’s cheer squad welcomed tournament golfers as they arrived at the course, ushering them into the courtyard where they registered for the day and received a pair of new Nike golf shoes. The Biola student ambassadors assisted the shoe fittings before sending the golfers on to receive a complimentary shoe bag, golf umbrella and golf balls. Before teeing off at 10:30, the golfers enjoyed a continental breakfast, participated in a putting contest, and warmed up on the driving range.

The all-day annual event draws participants from a pool of the university’s friends and alumni to raise money for Biola’s athletic department and the Biola Scholarship Fund. According to the Biola Web site, “the Biola Scholarship Fund provides more than $2 million in unrestricted scholarship assistance to Biola students each year. With over 75 percent of undergraduates receiving financial aid, the Biola Scholarship Fund is critical to helping students stay in school and finish their education.”