Faith and the Jazz Ensemble

Taking a closer look at the Jazz Ensemble through the eyes of jazz director Cliff Hulling.
Courtesy of Cliff Hulling
Jazz Ensemble Director Cliff Hulling

The Jazz Ensemble is one of the many music ensembles of the Conservatory and is part of the commercial music program. The band features trombones, trumpets, saxophones and more, exploring a wide range of music with Cliff Hulling as their jazz director.

HULLING’S CAREER JOURNEY

Hulling has worked with the Jazz Ensemble for 39 years. He began teaching part-time at Biola and Cal State Fullerton simultaneously for ten years, while also launching his music career in the Pacific Symphony. He later left Cal State Fullerton to work full time at Biola, retiring also from the symphony after working there for 35 years.

“I dropped Cal State Fullerton right away because my heart is at Biola,” said Hulling. “It always has been, always will be — until the Lord takes me home — because of what we stand for here in terms of building not just a musician, but a Christian musician that can be equipped musically but be able to share their faith.”

THE JAZZ ENSEMBLE

With a heart passionate for preparing students to face the musical world as Christians, Hulling directs the Jazz Ensemble to learn all sorts of music styles, from old big band style to more recent compositions dating five to ten years ago.

“We play rock, jazz, Latin — that’s the usual three most common styles for big band or for combo,” said Hulling. “We do some of each [in] every concert. You’re gonna hear some rock tunes, you’re going to hear a lot of strange swing jazz stuff, and you might hear some Latin music.”

Biola’s Jazz Ensemble is formed similar to the older big band style of jazz, consisting of five saxophones, five trombones, five trumpets and a rhythm section with piano, bass, guitar and drums. The jazz combo focuses more on soloists who each improvise in turn, occasionally featuring a rhythm section with two or three soloists playing saxophone, trumpet or other, and sometimes with a singer.

This type of combo appeared in a jazz concert on Nov. 10 with guest artist Willie Murillo, a Grammy Award winner and one of the top studio trumpet players. Students had the opportunity to engage with him in his concert and learn about his faith throughout his music career.

GOD IS THE CONTRACTOR

Allowing his students to bridge their musical skills with their faith is very important for Hulling and a big part of his teaching mission, especially with how dark the music industry can be.

“[Biola] is different from a state school,” said Hulling. “We want to raise up an entire person spiritually, musically, personally.”

Hulling also hopes that his students will learn to always lean on the Lord and follow his direction.

“I tell my students, ‘God’s your contractor. Contractors are the ones that hire the musicians,’” said Hulling. “I tell them, ‘Look, God’s your contractor, you’re gonna get every job you’re supposed to get.’ As a Christian. I think it’s much easier if we lean into our faith, knowing that God has this, and if he has a particular job or direction for you that wild forces aren’t going to keep you away from it, because he’s already opened that door for you.”