“What are you listening to?” — Take a look at a Biola student playlist

Biola students share some songs that they are currently listening to.
Courtesy of Unsplash

With Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube and more, people have access to all kinds of music and can listen anywhere and everywhere. Biola students take full advantage of these services to listen to music while studying, relaxing or on the go. From instrumental to worship to pop, here are 7 songs that students are listening to that you might like to add to your playlist. 

CAN YOU HEAR THE MUSIC? — FROM OPPENHEIMER

This song is just under two minutes long and is part of the score for the movie Oppenheimer. Composed by Ludwig Göransson, the tune begins in a light and inquisitive manner with stringed instruments, eventually picking up speed and growing more intense.

Hannah Kuo, a sophomore health science major, likes this track for its inspiring tone.

“It makes me feel like I’m discovering hidden secrets of the universe,” Kuo said.

Listen on YouTube or Spotify.

THE TRUTH — BY FOSTER THE PEOPLE

“The Truth” paints an image of a wandering person in a search for truth. The song has a tone of hopefulness and determination as the singer invites you to search with them.

Jennae Loomis, a senior design major, likes this song because it reminds her of her dad.

“We love to share music with each other, and this is one of our favorite songs,” Loomis said.

Listen on YouTube or Spotify.

POSTER BOY — BY LYN LAPID

Lyn Lapid is a pop singer-songwriter who became popular more recently. Her song “Poster Boy” is an upbeat romantic song from her album “to love in the 21st century”.

“It is just a vibe,” said Gloria Stickney, a freshman worship arts major. “It’s very chill and I love the electric guitar sound.”

Listen on YouTube or Spotify.

SUPER TUNA — BY JIN

This K-pop song is a fun and lighthearted tune about going fishing and catching tuna.

“It’s a very upbeat and high-energy song, so it helps me wake up in the morning and start the day on an energized note,” said Hannah Wittenberger, a sophomore psychology major.

Listen on YouTube or Spotify.

I WILL BE UNDIGNIFIED — BY REND COLLECTIVE

This lively song cheerfully invites listeners to sing and dance in worship to God. It features an assortment of acoustic instruments such as guitars, strings and xylophone.

“[This song] gives me the motivation to follow God with more of my heart, and it’s just an incredibly hype song,” said Jaydon Derecichei, a freshman game design major.

Listen on YouTube or Spotify.

VICE VERSES — BY SWITCHFOOT

This American rock band’s “Vice Verses” is a calm yet deeply thoughtful song, exploring questions of meaning and the self through its lyrics.

“I like listening to this song for two reasons: it is both calming and reassuring, but the song also makes me think,” said Benjamin Lanz, a junior mathematics major. “It makes me think about morality and self and what it means to be virtuous.”

Listen on YouTube or Spotify.

RIVER — BY LEON BRIDGES

“River” by Leon Bridges is a song that centers around repentance, baptism and redemption. Its music video couples the lyrics with the sound of rain and moments of quiet, making it a rather meditative and peaceful song.

“I love the smoothness of the sound and an approach to the concept of baptism and redemption that has such well-articulated emotion,” said Ella Buell, senior art major concentrating in painting.

Listen on YouTube or Spotify.