Biola women artisans sell crafts at vendor fair

Jewelry, paintings and cards were for sale at the “Women Inspire” booths.

Biola+women+paint+pictures+of+plants+at+the+vendor+fair.+

Haven Luper-Jasso//CHIMES

Biola women paint pictures of plants at the vendor fair.

Hannah Larson, Editor-in-Chief

The Fireplace Pavilion hummed with activity this Wednesday evening during the Women’s History Month Vendor Fair. Biola-affiliated women artisans set up shop on the patio beside the huge stone fireplace and advertised their wares — jewelry, paintings and handmade cards, among other crafts. 

CARDS AND CRAFTS

Business administration major Sydney Miller’s booth, “Morning Kittens,” featured an eclectic variety of crocheted crafts for sale. An aquamarine sweater with the sleeves crossed rested on the edge of the table beside a plump black-and-yellow bumblebee, while a bright red strawberry and purple elephant occupied the far right corner. 

Meanwhile, brightly painted tote bags decorated with biblical images and quotes adorned first-year intercultural studies major Kimberly Camacho’s table. One tote bag featured a colorful rainbow and the words “Promise Keeper” in black beneath; another had a radiant yellow sun painted on with the phrase “Choose Joy” in the center. Camacho explained she started painting while at camps when she was young and is particularly inspired by nature scenes and God’s creation. Each bag sold for $10. 

Handmade yellow cards exploded with color against the dark blue tablecloth on junior business administration major Savannah Clive’s table. Long, dangling earrings — some fiery orange, others a cool turquoise — occupied the other half of the table. Clive said her grandma inspired her card-making hobby and a simple bead kit from a Michaels craft store was all it took to become interested in making jewelry. Cards sold for $3.50 apiece, while the price for a pair of earrings ranged from $4–$6. 

ARTWORK AND APPAREL

Junior intercultural studies major Alicia Fregoso’s table, “Artistic Expressions,” featured vibrant sketches and collages in a variety of sizes for sale. Fregoso explained that she crafts her pieces with an eye for aesthetics and seeks beauty in all forms of art. Her artwork was remarkably varied, showcasing her talent across a range of styles and designs. Some of Fregoso’s paintings were geometric, with networks of black lines criss-crossing through tan circles and triangles; others featured dark gray elephants or portraits. 

Some touched on themes of social justice — one sketch featured an upraised fist beneath the word “Vota!” in alternating red and green, the colors of the Mexican flag. Another was a drawing of a Black child’s face in front of a partial American flag, the red stripes dripping blood. Names of Black people killed by police were scrawled in crimson below the child while the words “Am I Next?” hung over his head. 

Across the courtyard, sophomore cinema and media arts major Abigail Ramirez sold clothes at her thrift shop, “Abbyyroadd Vintage.” One yellow hoodie rested beside flowery prints; a stack of red and orange blouses teetered on the other side of the table. Ramirez explained that she enjoys thrifting because it is a way to recycle clothes and help the environment. 

“TELL ME A STORY”

Janna Christian, who graduated in 2018 with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in graphic design and photography, had a booth named “Tell Me A Story.” Christian said that three years ago during an internship in Morocco, she sat down with women and asked them to tell her their stories before she took their photos. One picture featured a woman wearing gray and leaning on a railing, while another was of a woman in pink with a hijab, sitting in front of a rock. 

Watercolor paintings splashed color across senior graduate admissions counselor Elizabeth Rubio’s table. Rubio, a Biola alumna and current staff member, explained that her mom was an architect who passed her love of design on to Rubio. Rubio said she intentionally features women of color in her paintings because “art is traditionally very white-centric.” Rubio said she bases some of her artwork on religious paintings and “removes the Catholic aspects” to create the final product.  

Biolans milled around the fair, some settling by the fireplace to set up mini easels and paint by number while drinking lattes; others exploring the wares for sale. Live music by senior music major Hope Langston, alumnus Alex Artuso, Chimes photographer Haven Luper-Jasso and more wafted through the courtyard and a variety of guest speakers — alumna, professors and department chairs — delivered messages to inspire women.

Article updated March 30.