Eagles win walk-off style

A hit-by-pitch wins the game for the Eagles.

Sophomore+catcher+Sam+Lisiak+takes+a+swing.+

Courtesy of Biola Athletics

Sophomore catcher Sam Lisiak takes a swing.

Ryan Wingert, Staff Writer

On March 18, Biola’s baseball team stole an exhibition victory from the Point Loma Sea Lions in the very last inning. In what was an extremely exciting and close game, the end result was nothing short of spectacular. Redshirt freshman Johnathan Smith walked it off in rare fashion for Biola. He did not walk or hit the winning run in, but rather he was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to force a run in during the final inning of a tied game. The Eagles took the game 7-6.

BACK-AND-FORTH BATTLE

It was a rough outing for graduate right hander Andrew Beauvais as he gave up six runs on three hits, but the other three Eagles to pitch didn’t give up a run, including redshirt junior Carson Cody, sophomore Andrew Zittel and freshman right hander Gabe Magallan, who picked up the win.  

Biola jumped first, scoring three runs in the second inning. None of the runs were batted in, but two were walk-ins with the bases loaded, and the other was a sacrifice fly. The Sea Lions answered right back with four runs scored in the third inning, including a three-run homer to take the lead. In the bottom of the third, however, Biola scored three more runs on a multi home run inning by graduate infielder Oscar Serrators Jr. and freshman infielder Noah Ruiz. 

The score remained tied 6-6 until the final inning, when the rare occurrence of the hit by pitch walk off happened to Johnathan Smith. It was this thrilling occurrence that allowed Biola to win the second game of the double header and take down Point Loma.

Up next, men’s baseball takes on Point Loma again for another double header on March 20. Stats from the match can be found on the Biola Athletics website.