Hope hosts its second annual “Hopechella” all-hall

Students gathered for a night of live music and supported student vendors outside of Hope.

Freshman+fine+arts+major+Fiona+Doyle+sold+prints+at+her+Fionart+table.+

Fashion Castillo-Delgadillo//CHIMES

Freshman fine arts major Fiona Doyle sold prints at her “Fionart” table.

Fashion Castillo-Delgadillo, Arts and Entertainment Editor

String lights sparkled overhead and speakers boomed with live music as students stopped to attend the second annual “Hopechella” all-hall event on March 17 right outside of the building at the basketball courts. The all-hall event features student musicians and merchants and gives students in Hope a chance to come together and enjoy a fun night in the spring. 

LEARNING FROM EXPERIENCE

Karly Mattocks, assistant director of Housing and Residence Life and resident director of Hope South, said that this was the first time student vendors were invited to sell their products for the duration of the event. Mattocks explained with the event being hosted for the second year, many of the students were able to learn from the experience and find ways to make the event run more smoothly. 

“I think it’s been fun to see that it’s been easier the second time around,” said Mattocks. “They learned some stuff from last year to make it smoother but also just seeing so many people show up and because it’s a little bit longer of an event and [you can] come and go, you get to get engaged with more people.”

Mattocks explained that all sixteen of the RAs within Hope North and South worked in committees to make sure the event was successful. Each committee was responsible for different aspects of the event, such as the food, live entertainment, student merchants and decorations. 

STUDENT MERCHANTS

A plethora of different student merchants were also in attendance selling products from art and jewelry to technology and upcycled clothing. Fiona Doyle, first year BFA fine art major, said she was excited to sell her artwork at an event in person for the first time. Doyle currently sells her “Fionart” and clothing through Instagram and Etsy.

“I’ve been looking into opportunities to sell my art at some sort of market and have a booth so being able to do this has been really cool, especially at school where I’ve seen a lot of people I know or I see in class,” said Doyle. “Also, seeing everyone else’s art has been really awesome and it’s just been a really cool experience to get into selling art in this kind of situation with people I’m already familiar with.”

Some of Doyle’s artwork for sale included a “fine floral print,” an elegant blue-and-white design with swirling flowers and ferns, prints of blue tulips and red daffodils and a “coffee love print” depicting a variety of mugs and coffeemakers, available in blue or brown. 

The live music also had students driving past stopping their cars briefly to take a look at what was happening at the event. Sofas and small tables were set out for students to gather around and enjoy an evening full of music and fellowship with one another.