Home runs lift Biola baseball to victory

The Eagles hit four home runs en route to victory over the Sunbirds. 

Senior+infielder+Tyler+White+leans+back+after+swinging.+

Courtesy of Biola Athletics

Senior infielder Tyler White leans back after swinging.

Caleb Crawley, Sports Editor

Four home runs propelled Biola’s baseball team to an 8-0 victory over Fresno Pacific on Saturday at Eagles Diamond. The Eagles, who have struggled in PacWest play, improved their conference record to 2-6. 

PITCHING SETS THE TONE

Starting right-handed pitcher Andrew Beauvais earned his first win of the season against the Sunbirds. Beauvais tossed six innings, allowing four hits and surrendering zero runs to the Fresno Pacific lineup. Junior righty Jake Anderson and two-way player Oscar Serratos completed Beauvais’s work on the mound by holding the visitors scoreless in relief. 

BACK-TO-BACK BOMBS

Junior third baseman AJ Ortiz began the hitting parade in the first by lining a solo shot over the left field fence. Seconds after Ortiz completed his trip around the bases, junior first baseman Wyatt Duncan hammered his ninth home run of the season. 

The back-to-back bombs gave way to doubles off the bat of Serratos and junior catcher Taylor Justus, nabbing a 3-0 lead in the bottom of the first. 

Home runs from senior second baseman Tyler White and Justus in the second and fourth boosted Biola’s lead to 6-0. 

The Eagles tacked on two insurance runs in the seventh as Fresno Pacific continuously failed at containing Biola’s lineup. Singles from sophomores Sam Lisiak and Bobby Brown, followed by a walk from freshman Jonathan Smith, loaded the bases for Ortiz. Ortiz’s RBI fielder’s choice scored Lisiak from third. Brown also managed to score on the play from a throwing error by Sunbirds’ second baseman Tommy Rover. Rover’s error occurred after Smith’s slide successfully broke up the double play attempt. 

The Eagles’ 8-0 lead provided plenty of run support for their second shutout win of the season. 

POINT LOMA LOOMING 

The Biola boys will continue conference play against the 11th nationally ranked Point Loma Sea Lions. The Sea Lions currently sit at 2-4 in conference play and 11-7 overall. The four game series opens on Saturday, March 18 at Eagles Diamond with first pitch set for 12 p.m.