Nationally ranked Broncos buck Biola boys

Biola loses to 11th-ranked Cal Poly Pomona 9-3.

Redshirt+freshman+pitcher+Brandon+McClean+winds+up+to+throw.+

Courtesy of Biola Athletics

Redshirt freshman pitcher Brandon McClean winds up to throw.

Caleb Crawley, Sports Editor

Biola’s baseball team lost 9-3 to 11th-ranked Cal Poly Pomona at home on Tuesday afternoon. The Broncos’ high-powered offense out-hit the Eagles, resulting in another loss to Biola’s record (4-8). 

MCCLEAN CUTS DOWN HITTERS 

Redshirt freshman right-handed pitcher Brandon McClean started on the mound for the Biola boys. The hard-throwing righty started strong for the Eagles, mowing down the first nine hitters he faced without allowing a single base hit. 

In the bottom of the third, Biola’s offense took advantage of McClean’s efficiency by jumping on the scoreboard before the Broncos. The Eagles’ first run was scored by junior outfielder Brenden Bell off an RBI double by junior infielder AJ Ortiz. Ortiz’s double was cranked to the right-center field gap, allowing Bell to trot home easily from second base. 

BALLISTIC BRONCO BATS 

The Broncos’ bats responded to Biola’s rally in big fashion. In the top of the fourth, Cal Poly Pomona loaded the bases with no outs when Johnny Papas grounded into a double play to tie the contest at 1-1. Thereafter, Broncos third baseman Tyler Chaffee launched a timely two-run home run to left field. 

The Broncos held firm to their lead, with both lineups staying quiet through three innings. 

An RBI single off the bat of center fielder Nin Burns II extended the lead for Cal Poly Pomona in the eighth, followed by a two-RBI triple from Brent Cota. 

The Broncos poured on more insurance runs in the ninth with two more RBI singles, taking a comfortable 9-1 lead over the Eagles. 

The Biola boys put up a last-ditch effort by pushing two runs across home plate in the bottom of the ninth. A pair of singles and a walk loaded the bases for senior pinch hitter Tyler White. White jumped on the first pitch, smacking a one-hopper to the left field fence for a two-RBI double.  

The Eagles’ rally ended before they could score any more runs, leaving White stranded on base. 

UPCOMING CONFERENCE PLAY

The Biola boys look to redeem their preseason record (4-8) by getting a jump start in conference play against Hawaii Pacific. The first game of the series begins Friday, with the first pitch set for 5 p.m.