Men’s and women’s basketball sweep Concordia

Biola beats opponent in two matches.

Sophomore+forward+Casey+Cappo+elevates+to+score.+

Courtesy of Biola Athletics

Sophomore forward Casey Cappo elevates to score.

Ryan Wingert, Staff Writer

On Thursday, Feb. 16, both Biola’s men’s and women’s basketball teams visited Concordia University Irvine to take on their teams in basketball matchups. Both Biola teams emerged triumphant in two incredibly close games. The men won 66-61 while the women won 69-65.

WOMEN EDGE OUT WIN LATE

Biola found themselves down by two at halftime in what was an incredibly tight battle.  Biola, however, would go on to outscore Concordia 38-32 and edge out a 69-65 victory. The scoring was well balanced as three players scored double digit points. Redshirt sophomore guard Laila Walker and redshirt junior forward Jordan Rabe each scored 15 points, while graduate guard Aysia Johnson scored 14 points. It was an all around victory for the Biola Eagles. 

MEN BLOWN OUT IN FIRST

The men jumped out to a hot start taking a 38-29 lead at halftime. Concordia made a comeback in the second half outscoring Biola 32-29, but it wasn’t enough to overcome as Biola took the game 66-61. Biola shot 55.3% on the night which was enough to take down Concordia’s 40.4%. Sophomore forward Casey Cappo led the team with 17 points in the victory, while three other players scored double digit points as well. 

Up next, both men‘s and women‘s teams welcome Hawaii Hilo on Tuesday, Feb. 21. Stats from the match can be found on the Biola Athletics website.