Men’s and women’s basketball sweep Silverswords

Biola defends home court against Chaminade.

Redshirt+freshman+forward+Maximo+Milovich+takes+a+shot.+

Courtesy of Biola Athletics

Redshirt freshman forward Maximo Milovich takes a shot.

Caleb Crawley, Sports Editor

Biola’s men’s and women’s basketball teams swept a doubleheader at home against Chaminade in a PacWest conference matchup. The men’s team won 95-71 against the Silverswords, while the women’s team won 65-49. 

EAGLES AVENGE LOSS

The men’s victory against Chaminade came 11 days after the Eagles lost on the road against the Silverswords in overtime. Biola used the loss as motivation to propel themselves to a dominating victory over their opponent. 

Forwards Maximilo Milovich and Hunter Ruck exhibited dominance in the paint for Biola, combining for 22 rebounds. Meanwhile, redshirt senior guard Alex Wright led the scoring effort by contributing 22 points while shooting 77.8% from the field. 

Sophomore guard Daniel Esparza closed out the first half on a buzzer-beater, giving Biola a 43-30 lead. The Eagles continued to build on the momentum to start the second half, draining an absurd eight three-pointers. Biola’s scorching hot shooting exploded their lead to 20 over Chaminade within the first couple minutes of the second half. The Eagles never let their opponents back in the contest, extending their lead by as much as 34 points. 

WALKER SLICES SILVERSWORDS 

Redshirt sophomore Laila Walker led the Eagles’ offensive effort with 15 points. Sophomore guard Syndey Moran chipped in 11 points while junior Jordan Rabe contributed 12 points. 

The Silverswords held Biola close in the first half, but the Eagles came out firing on all cylinders after halftime. Biola erupted for a 21-9 run in the third quarter, giving the Eagles their largest lead of the contest. The Silverswords chipped away a fraction of the margin in the fourth quarter but couldn’t overcome the deficit. 

NEXT UP 

Biola’s men’s and women’s basketball teams continue conference play against Dominican on Thursday, Feb. 2 at Chase Gymnasium.