Biola honors MLK’s legacy

A chapel reflects on what the church can do to achieve Martin Luther King’s dream.

Chapel+speaker+Michael+Field+calls+Biolans+to+make+Kings+dream+of+reconciliation+a+reality+by+loving+God+and+their+neighbor.+

Elizabeth Wolff//CHIMES

Chapel speaker Michael Field calls Biolans to make King’s dream of reconciliation a reality by loving God and their neighbor.

Shelby LaPorte, Staff Writer

Biola’s Division of Diversity and Inclusion department held a chapel on January 18 in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Pastor Michael Field, a teaching and executive pastor of staff and ministries at Fellowship Monrovia Church, shared a message that called Biolans to reflect on King’s legacy and what can be done to tear down the walls which continue to divide the world. 

Field spoke of the importance of a vertical relationship and reconciliation with God in his message which focused on King’s dream of equality. He pointed out political and social tensions present in today’s society which impact the process of reconciliation, explaining that some hold the American flag above the cross, thus placing politics above Jesus. Field emphasized that for a vertical reconciliation to take place, this perspective must change.  

TEARING DOWN WALLS

Field also highlighted the significance of a horizontal reconciliation which happens between any two individuals. He said that some white men and women will turn a blind eye and opt out of horizontal reconciliation between neighbors that are ethnically or racially different. He emphasized that the church needs to stop taking the back seat in situations involving injustice towards its neighbors. Field called the church to have an urgency that turns into action, encouraging believers to acknowledge and trust the experiences which their neighbors of color relate. 

Field pointed to the well-known parable of the good Samaritan in which a Jewish priest and Levite ignored a traveler whom robbers had stripped, beaten and left for dead. The good Samaritan is the one who gave him aid in the end. Field connected this back to the church and Biola. He said that believers cannot continue to ignore Black neighbors whom others have beaten and sweep them under the rug. Field called Christians to raise their voices against injustice, tear down the wall dividing them from their neighbor and begin a process of healing and restoration.

Following the chapel service, Biola hosted a gathering in the Mosaic Cultural Center for students and alumni to attend alongside Field. While there, attendees sampled cultural snacks and drinks while continuing to discuss King’s vision. Later that afternoon, the staff at Biola were invited to attend a luncheon where Field dove into the topic of cultural humility in the workplace and faculty enjoyed a delicious array of desserts while listening to Field explain how believers can live out King’s principles.